• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming on taxes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueeyes114

What is the name of your state?
Kentucky

My exgirlfriend has claimed my son for the last ten years on her taxes. We were never married and i never asked if i could claim him on my taxes. I have always paid my support
and now think its my turn to claim. Any suggestions. Thank you

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

blueeyes114 said:
Kentucky

My exgirlfriend has claimed my son for the last ten years on her taxes. We were never married and i never asked if i could claim him on my taxes. I have always paid my support
File a motion to amend the custody order ...

CJane

blueeyes114 said:
Kentucky

Ask the ex if she'll fill out and sign a form 8332 from the IRS that will allow you to claim. Or, file for a modification to the parenting plan.

I'm curious though why you feel it's your 'turn'.

blueeyes114

CJane said:
Ask the ex if she'll fill out and sign a form 8332 from the IRS that will allow you to claim. Or, file for a modification to the parenting plan.

I'm curious though why you feel it's your 'turn'.
Shouldn't i be entitled to claim him since he is my son and she has done so for the last ten years and i do pay child support.

Neal1421

blueeyes114 said:
Shouldn't i be entitled to claim him since he is my son and she has done so for the last ten years and i do pay child support.
Just because you pay support does not mean that you should be able to claim your child. Do you provide more than half of the childs' support during the year?

momofrose

In addition to paying support is the child with you a good amount of time during the year (I mean overnights)..that plays a part in the court granting that the child can be claimed on an NCP's taxes.

D

blueeyes114

Neal1421 said:
Just because you pay support does not mean that you should be able to claim your child. Do you provide more than half of the childs' support during the year?
I pay 400 a month in support plus pay half of all medical bills. What is up with you people?

Neal1421

blueeyes114 said:
I pay 400 a month in support plus pay half of all medical bills. What is up with you people?
The person that has supported the child more than 50% during the year is usually the one that claims the child. How much time do you spend with the child? Do you have joint custody?

blueeyes114

momofrose said:
In addition to paying support is the child with you a good amount of time during the year (I mean overnights)..that plays a part in the court granting that the child can be claimed on an NCP's taxes.

D
He is with me every other weekend which is court ordered and whenever he wants to come to our home.

blueeyes114

Neal1421 said:
The person that has supported the child more than 50% during the year is usually the one that claims the child. How much time do you spend with the child? Do you have joint custody?
We don't have joint custody. It doesn't matter my wifes brother was granted three years straight to claim his daughter that he doesn't even get to see. Because the judge decided that it was fair and after the three years they go back and forth.

momofrose

If your child's mom will not agree - you will need to file a motion and let the court decide. That's pretty much it.

D

blueeyes114

I don't know what your problem is but you need help. I only come here to get help so DON"T HELP ME NO MORE. I already have someone else i am talking to. See ya!

momofrose

blueeyes114 said:
I don't know what your problem is but you need help. I only come here to get help so DON"T HELP ME NO MORE. I already have someone else i am talking to. See ya!

??????? What problem?? You were given an answer - sorry if it is one you do not like, but it is the right answer -

OK we won't "HELP YOU NO MORE!!"

Ciou!
D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">