• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

clarify laws??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sisymay

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi, I would like to see if anyone could clarify some laws concerning child support.
My ex has been court ordered by divorce to pay me cs for about 15 yrs now.. Last October, I agreed to 'temporary guardianship' to the ex husbands parents to keep child, and not the father.
The probate judge told me that this does not override my permanent custody of my child. Everything will remain the same, I will still get child support.
The child support agency sent me a letter stating I will no longer get cs payments, since child no longer lives with me.
This is no problem to me, this is fair in my opinion. The problem here is, how and why is the probate court telling me that cs is still suppose to continue, and cs agency tells me it stops? Why aren't they together in the laws here??

Another problem is, cs agency said that ex no longer had to pay cs, but still had to pay 'arrears' for years of non payment. Grandparents asked cs agency if ex could use what he was paying me to count toward the 'arrears' payment. They said no, it doesn't work that way.
Then cs told them, 'but we can get the mother to pay cs to the father'.
OK. How can this be, if child is not living with father? The cs knows child is not with father. They just told me I couldn't get cs anymore because child is not living with me.
And, cs told me years ago that they can not collect cs payments unless it is 'court ordered'. I don't know if this has changed now. How can they get cs payments from me if it is not 'court ordered'?? And how can they get cs from me if child is not living with father?
Thanks so much for your time!!

LdiJ

sisymay said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi, I would like to see if anyone could clarify some laws concerning child support.
My ex has been court ordered by divorce to pay me cs for about 15 yrs now.. Last October, I agreed to 'temporary guardianship' to the ex husbands parents to keep child, and not the father.
The probate judge told me that this does not override my permanent custody of my child. Everything will remain the same, I will still get child support.
The child support agency sent me a letter stating I will no longer get cs payments, since child no longer lives with me.
This is no problem to me, this is fair in my opinion. The problem here is, how and why is the probate court telling me that cs is still suppose to continue, and cs agency tells me it stops? Why aren't they together in the laws here??

Another problem is, cs agency said that ex no longer had to pay cs, but still had to pay 'arrears' for years of non payment. Grandparents asked cs agency if ex could use what he was paying me to count toward the 'arrears' payment. They said no, it doesn't work that way.
Then cs told them, 'but we can get the mother to pay cs to the father'.
OK. How can this be, if child is not living with father? The cs knows child is not with father. They just told me I couldn't get cs anymore because child is not living with me.
And, cs told me years ago that they can not collect cs payments unless it is 'court ordered'. I don't know if this has changed now. How can they get cs payments from me if it is not 'court ordered'?? And how can they get cs from me if child is not living with father?
Thanks so much for your time!!
They can get CS from you to be paid to the grandparents....not to dad.

However I have to admit that I am a bit confused by your story. You might want to take the paperwork that you have received to an attorney for a consult....to make sure that you understand it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">