• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clerical error at CS agency. How to fix?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hello, fellow advice-seekers and -givers! I haven't been active in awhile, but something popped up the other day that my husband could use some help with.

Situation - Dad pays weekly CS (a set amount) which is deducted from his check. Amount was reduced during a review last summer. Dad has been steadily employed at the same job without lapse. Dad has never been past due with CS.

New issue - Dad received a letter from the county CS agency stating that they were requesting his employer withhold an extra amount each week towards past due CS. This, obviously, was news. He called the agency yesterday and was told that he was approximately $600 behind. He asked for details as to how this came to be, and the agency said they would call him back.

Today, Dad received a call saying he is really $286 behind and that was from March 2010. Dad explained that 1) the judge's order from last summer acknowledges Dad was not past due at that time (July 2010, I think) and 2) he received a tax refund this spring and there were no liens against it then either. Dad also asked if he should provide documentation from his employer that they have been submitting the correct amount each week. Agency said they would call him back. Dad is asking human resources for this information, but they said it could be a couple weeks. He also has check stubs, but not dating back to March 2010.

Can you please help advise the next steps Dad should take? Should he continue working with the CS agency guy or is there another forum that this can be handled? Thanks in advance!

OHRoadwarrior

I think dad should request a record of payments from CS and reconcile them if they feel there is an error. His employer should be able to cross reference payments they deem missing.

LdiJ

I think dad should request a record of payments from CS and reconcile them if they feel there is an error. His employer should be able to cross reference payments they deem missing.
Actually, I think this is the best first step. This will help dad find out exactly where the problem lies. It would be easier to get it fixed if dad can pinpoint to the CS agency exactly where the problem lies.

If dad gave the new orders to his employer before they were received by the CS agency from the courts, that could even possibly explain the problem.

If dad gave the new orders to his employer before they were received by the CS agency from the courts, that could even possibly explain the problem.
This was actually my first guess, but then the CS agency said the past due CS started before the reduction order was made. So who knows.

Dad requested the records from HR and the CS agency. Probably won't see anything from either one for a couple of weeks, but I think that is the best he can do for now. The extra amount they are withholding is only $5/week, so it's not like it's a make-or-break amount for the household income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">