• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thelxepeia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was divorced in 2009 and awarded child support for 4 children plus alimony. It was revised as the older children graduated and my daughter just turned 18 this year. It was $340.00 a month and started on February 1, 2011. He paid for a while, then intermitently and my last partial payment was in February 2014. He now owes $11,156.54.

I had a lawyer for the divorce but she quit the day before my final hearing. So I represented myself and filled out all the forms since for anything. I am perplexed at what to file and take to the courthouse so something can be done about the back payments. He works under the table, or not at all, and I believe he is getting, or will be getting Social Security Disability (well he's trying).

I cannot afford a lawyer, I wish I could. I would like to know which document I need to fill out to take to the courthouse if possible and any assistance would be appreciated. I might have the document on my computer as I saved everything I filed, but do not want to make a mistake and I cannot afford to let this go.

Thanks!
~D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have to face the reality that you may never see a dime of the support you are owed.

torimac

If he is receiving social security due to retirement, she may receive something due to garnishment. But it is entirely possible that she will see nothing. Did you file for child support through the local agency or was he to send you the funds directly?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he is receiving social security due to retirement, she may receive something due to garnishment. But it is entirely possible that she will see nothing. Did you file for child support through the local agency or was he to send you the funds directly?
There was no mention of Social Security due to retirement

torimac

There was no mention of Social Security due to retirement
True, my mistake. I just saw the social security part. Even with disability, she may be able to get something. It really depends on what type of social security he is getting or will get.

But ultimately, I think you should prepare for the fact that if your ex wants to avoid paying child support, there are ways to do that. The child support agency can only do so much. Plan on not having it, it's a bonus when it is there.

Ash.ley3

If he's working "under the table" then theres nothing to garnish, report him to the internal revenue(IRS) for not paying taxes..usually people working under the table does not pay federal taxes.

If he's getting social security they may be able to garnish that but I would go to the court and file for a enforcement and they'll walk you through the steps.

Silverplum

This type of post always baffles me: ashley registered and posted to one already-answered thread, at some very late/early hour. :confused: Why?

If he's working "under the table" then theres nothing to garnish, report him to the internal revenue(IRS) for not paying taxes..usually people working under the table does not pay federal taxes.

If he's getting social security they may be able to garnish that but I would go to the court and file for a enforcement and they'll walk you through the steps.

ducky8888

At first it was sent to Child Support Services, then directly to me.
Your local court should have a legal self-help center. Call and find out. They will help you through anything you need to file and it's free.

Otherwise, if you have a standing court order for child support, you can receive assistance from child support services. This includes collection, modification, and if he is seriously delinquent they will take action against him. In California (I know you are in florida) this includes having his driving privileges suspended, putting a lein on any real property, garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, and he can be charged with contempt of court which can incur fines and jail time

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Your local court should have a legal self-help center. Call and find out. They will help you through anything you need to file and it's free.

Otherwise, if you have a standing court order for child support, you can receive assistance from child support services. This includes collection, modification, and if he is seriously delinquent they will take action against him. In California (I know you are in florida) this includes having his driving privileges suspended, putting a lein on any real property, garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, and he can be charged with contempt of court which can incur fines and jail time
Try again, this time with something relevant.

Actually no, don't. You're already quite trying.

You may leave now.

:cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

You lose. Not every courthouse in every state does this. California does, but you cannot say "Your local court should" because YOU DON'T KNOW. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Dear rape apologist:
You are an idiot. Not all courts have legal self help centers. Therefore they very well MAY NOT. And, even if they do, no they won't help you through anything you need to file. Furthermore in many places it is NOT free if they have one. Quit posting BS because you are clueless and go back to helping your rapist son who perped on your daughter. If you really cared about him you would have thought about going to court to force him counseling years ago. You didn't. You decided to let him perp and then whine about you rape-apologist. QUIT POSTING HERE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">