• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Back Child Support after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IUfan

What is the name of your state? Indiana

First a little background. I will try to make it short. My parents were married around five years. My father was in the Army. Five tours in Vietnam. They were divorced when I was six weeks old. It was put in the divorce decree for him to pay child support. Long story short, back then they did not have the laws they do today and could not get the Army to provide they help they would give today in collecting.

Once he was out of the Army, it was not any better. When she would find him, if he had a job and she would start the process to garnish wages, he would quit his job and move and she would not be able to find him again for years.

When I was 14 we found another address for him. You have to understand that I had never met my father. I wanted to meet him. I wrote him a letter and promised that if he made contact with me that my mother would not go after him for support. (I have a wonderful mother!) He finally contacted me. We had a off and on relationship for years. It was never close.

Anyway, to the point. This year he died. I have heard that I may be able to file something through either the social security department or the VA department for lack of support since he never paid the court ordered child support and collect some of the back child support from either his social security benefits or VA benefits.

Does anyone know anything about this or how I would go about doing this?

Thank you for any information you might have. :)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

First a little background. I will try to make it short. My parents were married around five years. My father was in the Army. Five tours in Vietnam. They were divorced when I was six weeks old. It was put in the divorce decree for him to pay child support. Long story short, back then they did not have the laws they do today and could not get the Army to provide they help they would give today in collecting.

Once he was out of the Army, it was not any better. When she would find him, if he had a job and she would start the process to garnish wages, he would quit his job and move and she would not be able to find him again for years.

When I was 14 we found another address for him. You have to understand that I had never met my father. I wanted to meet him. I wrote him a letter and promised that if he made contact with me that my mother would not go after him for support. (I have a wonderful mother!) He finally contacted me. We had a off and on relationship for years. It was never close.

Anyway, to the point. This year he died. I have heard that I may be able to file something through either the social security department or the VA department for lack of support since he never paid the court ordered child support and collect some of the back child support from either his social security benefits or VA benefits.

Does anyone know anything about this or how I would go about doing this?

Thank you for any information you might have. :)
You heard incorrectly. The SSA and the VA provide benefits to minor children when their parent dies, but you are long past being a minor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">