• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting child support when child doesn't live there

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenirose123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MO
A little history... My ex husband and I had custody of his daughter the whole time we were married(10 years).
When we divorced she went to live with her bio mother, my daughter was 15 at this time. When she was 16 she came to live with me and has been with me ever since, she is now almost 21.
Ok now my question... Her bio mother has been continually collecting child support from my ex husband. And plans to keep doing so since my daughter just enrolled in college. Although this makes me very angry, financially I'm ok, I'm not rich by any standards but I make do, I don't care about the money I just want my daughter to be in a good environment. And unfortunately that is not either of those homes so the money has never been an issue I chose to worry about, I figured if he didn't bother to get it stopped that was on him. Anyway, I've wandered off topic here, with her starting school she could use the money, it is hers after all, can I Sue her bio mom for that child support she collected while she didn't have her? We really aren't interested in continuing any orders now just the money already paid that shouldn't have been paid to the wrong person.

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MO
A little history... My ex husband and I had custody of his daughter the whole time we were married(10 years).
When we divorced she went to live with her bio mother, my daughter was 15 at this time. When she was 16 she came to live with me and has been with me ever since, she is now almost 21.
Ok now my question... Her bio mother has been continually collecting child support from my ex husband. And plans to keep doing so since my daughter just enrolled in college. Although this makes me very angry, financially I'm ok, I'm not rich by any standards but I make do, I don't care about the money I just want my daughter to be in a good environment. And unfortunately that is not either of those homes so the money has never been an issue I chose to worry about, I figured if he didn't bother to get it stopped that was on him. Anyway, I've wandered off topic here, with her starting school she could use the money, it is hers after all, can I Sue her bio mom for that child support she collected while she didn't have her? We really aren't interested in continuing any orders now just the money already paid that shouldn't have been paid to the wrong person.
No.

And Dad can't, either.

jenirose123

No.

And Dad can't, either.
I was afraid of that, so I guess bio mom just got really lucky that my ex doesn't handle his business, glad it's not my money anymore! Too bad for my daughter though, but we will make sure she gets her education anyway. Thanks!:)

Silverplum

I was afraid of that, so I guess bio mom just got really lucky that my ex doesn't handle his business, glad it's not my money anymore! Too bad for my daughter though, but we will make sure she gets her education anyway. Thanks!:)
You're quite welcome. Good luck. :)

BL

Ok ,now give us the rundown of court ordered custody modifications/changed in residential custody.

If you now and have had residential court ordered custody , you can petition CS from Dad.

It would stop going to Bio Mom and come to you.

Ok ,now give us the rundown of court ordered custody modifications/changed in residential custody.

If you now and have had residential court ordered custody , you can petition CS from Dad.

It would stop going to Bio Mom and come to you.
The now adult is nearly 21 according to the OP.

ecmst12

No, she wants the child to have the money. But since it's not and never was or will be owed to the child, nothing can be done.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
BIOMOM? Did you adopt this child? If you didn't, then she is NOT your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">