• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College/Coast Guard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elovesme99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Stepmom in NYS. DH pays cs monthly. Divorce agreement specifies until 21 or emancipated.

If SS joins US Coast Guard, will we be able to pay his cs into an escrow account? He would NOT be living with his bio-mom (she is custodial parent by law; he has lived here longer than with her over the past several years).

If SS attends college, divorce states we pay 50% tuition/room/board. I am an at-home mom but have worked recently as a researcher. Does my income have to be disclosed? It was a one-time project and I do not foresee it continuing in the future.

SS is starting junior year of public high school 9/2011.

I would like to protect my assets for DH and my biochildren (we have 1G 1B)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Stepmom in NYS. DH pays cs monthly. Divorce agreement specifies until 21 or emancipated.
ok

If SS joins US Coast Guard, will we be able to pay his cs into an escrow account? He would NOT be living with his bio-mom (she is custodial parent by law; he has lived here longer than with her over the past several years).
Since WE don't have to pay ANYTHING, I guess it's a moot question, huh? :rolleyes:
Now, if you are asking if DAD can pay in to an escrow account...why would he do that? CS is due to the mom, not kiddo. Furthermore, once child joins the Coast Guard, he is emancipated.
And, lastly, you are talking about MOM...not "bio-mom", just MOM.

If SS attends college, divorce states we pay 50% tuition/room/board.
Nope - it says no such thing.
I am an at-home mom but have worked recently as a researcher. Does my income have to be disclosed? It was a one-time project and I do not foresee it continuing in the future.
You have no obligation towards your husband's children

SS is starting junior year of public high school 9/2011.
Jumping the gun just a bit there.

I would like to protect my assets for DH and my biochildren (we have 1G 1B)
Your husband must follow the court order. Your husband is obligated to support his children- ALL of them. I'm sorry if that taxes your assets.

elovesme99

thank you.

divorce states DH is to pay 50% college tuition/room/board for up to the cost of a SUNY (state university of ny). this is listed in with various other components: life insurance, clothing, health insurance, who claims as tax deduction etc.

I did not know Coast Guard is considered emancipation therefore I would not have asked about dh paying cs during that time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your husband has a question regarding his obligation to his son, he would be well advised to come and ask it for himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">