• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College and Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atc12345

What is the name of your state? New York

My son is in his 2nd year of college and will be age 21 in several months. Must I continue to pay CS until he finishes college at age 23 or can I stop payments in several months when he reaches 21? My divorce decree states nothing about college or education.

Last edited:

LdiJ

atc12345 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My son is in his 2nd year of college and will be age 21 in several months. Must I continue to pay CS until he finishes college at age 23 or can I stop payments in several months when he reaches 21? My divorce decree states nothing about college or education.
Depending on how your payments are made (directly to the mom or through the CSE) you made need to petition or apply to end child support. That would give mom the option to counter the petition. If mom is using the CS to help with college expenses, expect a fight. I am not saying that she will win, but she will probably fight you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">