• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karenjoy

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I was divoriced in Arkansas. My divorice decree specifies that my ex is required to pay for any college expenses for my kids. This is not happening willingly. Will I have to seek an attorney to file something in Arkansas or can I do it here in Georgia?

momov3grlz69

I know that in NY if you reside in the new state for at least 6 months with the children... you can get RESIPROCITY (move the case to your new state so that you can file there) Call your local Family Court clerk and let them know what you are trying to accomplish and they can advise you as to how to obtain the proper documentation to move the case to your new state. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
momov3grlz69 said:
I know that in NY if you reside in the new state for at least 6 months with the children... you can get RESIPROCITY (move the case to your new state so that you can file there) Call your local Family Court clerk and let them know what you are trying to accomplish and they can advise you as to how to obtain the proper documentation to move the case to your new state. :)
No, it does not work that way. If the other parent still lives in the state that handed down the order, that is where jurisdiction remains.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
No, it does not work that way. If the other parent still lives in the state that handed down the order, that is where jurisdiction remains.
I agree regarding jurisdiction, however that doesn't mean that mom's local CSE can't get involved and facilitate the case. I think that may be what the other poster meant by reciprocity.

momov3grlz69

stealth2 said:
Not true.... I've done it. He still lived in NY ...I moved to NJ with kids and was able to file petition in NJ (had to be a NJ citizen for 6 months first).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
momov3grlz69 said:
Not true.... I've done it. He still lived in NY ...I moved to NJ with kids and was able to file petition in NJ (had to be a NJ citizen for 6 months first).
Then he didn't contest it, right? 'Cause if he had contested it, NJ would not have accepted jurisdiction.

momov3grlz69

stealth2 said:
Then he didn't contest it, right? 'Cause if he had contested it, NJ would not have accepted jurisdiction.
I guess not...it never came up!! thanks for the info.... See....we all learn somethin' new each day!! Hey there "Stealth".....On behalf of myself & I'm sure others...thank you for your daily info & knowledge...it really is very helpful to those of us looking to "do the right thing" and with limited "funds" for legal advise on our own!! (My kids thank you!!) :D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, you're very welcome. I'm just a divorced Mom who's gathered a hell of a lot of info through the course of my own situation, and figure I may as well pass it on. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">