• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College expenses question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dustyrodes

What is the name of your state? AZ
My ex and I have been divorced for 14 yrs. We have joint custody and neither pays child support---at the time of the divorce our incomes were basically equal. For the past 5-6 yrs he has had a much higher income than I do but we still split everything 50/50.
Our son is two yrs away from college----the ex wants to give our son a "full ride" at an expensive college---tuition, books, rent, living expenses, car expenses, etc. I think our son should go to a jr. college for two yrs, get a job and pay for some of the stuff himself, he can even live at home---I will pay for half of his tuition and books. I do not have the money to pay for him to have a full ride at an expensive college.
Can my ex "make" me do this if I dont have the money??

Noelle_71

dustyrodes said:
My ex and I have been divorced for 14 yrs. We have joint custody and neither pays child support---at the time of the divorce our incomes were basically equal. For the past 5-6 yrs he has had a much higher income than I do but we still split everything 50/50.
Our son is two yrs away from college----the ex wants to give our son a "full ride" at an expensive college---tuition, books, rent, living expenses, car expenses, etc. I think our son should go to a jr. college for two yrs, get a job and pay for some of the stuff himself, he can even live at home---I will pay for half of his tuition and books. I do not have the money to pay for him to have a full ride at an expensive college.
Of course not. Once your child hits the age of majority for the state that has jurisdiction over your case, thats it. Unless...your legal agreement sets forth that you are to support this child until he graduates from college.....Let Dad pay for it if he wants to.

mommyto4

Then you are under no legal obligation to pay for anything. Agree with Noelle let dad pay for whatever he wants.

AHA

dustyrodes said:
Is daddy asking you to pay half of the "full ride" or has he actually offered to foot the entire college bill himself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">