• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Student with Deadbeat Doctor Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaisyB23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

I apologize in advance for the length of my post but my situation is unique and complicated so I'd like to explain as much as possible to get the most accurate answer. I appreciate any help you can provide :)

I graduated high school 2 months after my 17th birthday. I wanted to take a gap year after college, however my father threatened to disown me unless i went to college. During my semester i struggled with the transition of leaving my family, who lived hundreds of miles aways from me. Ultimately my grades weren't great. My second semester my grades improved but I still didn't have straight A's that Dad desired. My father paid for my first semester of college. Also he promised to give me money for living expenses. After my grades didnt improve to his standards my second semester in college, my father decided that he didnt want me to return to my university that i had grown to love. I tried to get financial aid but unfortunately because of my fathers income i wasnt able to recieve any.

I've been living at home ever since, attending community college, and struggling. My father has basically disowned me since I'm an embarassment to him. I should also add the my parents are seperated, still legally married and have been seperated for over 5 years. He lives in NJ and I live in FL with my mother and sister. Due to my father's refusal to support me financially, I'm nearly $7,000 in debt, including tuition from my university and living expenses for the past year and a half. My father was at one point a very successful doctor in NJ. Recenty he filed for bankruptcy. Our home in FL is in foreclosure. Dad is also in a child support battle with his children from a previous marriage, who are now 26 and 24. He refused to pay child support (we have open case) to my mother for my sister and I.

My question is: what are my options, legally? I can no longer afford to live like this. I'm currently unemployed and Dad recently cut off my phone, which was the last bill that he paid for me. The university and bank went to collections and this is negatively affecting my credit.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I apologize in advance for the length of my post but my situation is unique and complicated so I'd like to explain as much as possible to get the most accurate answer. I appreciate any help you can provide :)

I graduated high school 2 months after my 17th birthday. I wanted to take a gap year after college, however my father threatened to disown me unless i went to college. During my semester i struggled with the transition of leaving my family, who lived hundreds of miles aways from me. Ultimately my grades weren't great. My second semester my grades improved but I still didn't have straight A's that Dad desired. My father paid for my first semester of college. Also he promised to give me money for living expenses. After my grades didnt improve to his standards my second semester in college, my father decided that he didnt want me to return to my university that i had grown to love. I tried to get financial aid but unfortunately because of my fathers income i wasnt able to recieve any.

I've been living at home ever since, attending community college, and struggling. My father has basically disowned me since I'm an embarassment to him. I should also add the my parents are seperated, still legally married and have been seperated for over 5 years. He lives in NJ and I live in FL with my mother and sister. Due to my father's refusal to support me financially, I'm nearly $7,000 in debt, including tuition from my university and living expenses for the past year and a half. My father was at one point a very successful doctor in NJ. Recenty he filed for bankruptcy. Our home in FL is in foreclosure. Dad is also in a child support battle with his children from a previous marriage, who are now 26 and 24. He refused to pay child support (we have open case) to my mother for my sister and I.

My question is: what are my options, legally? I can no longer afford to live like this. I'm currently unemployed and Dad recently cut off my phone, which was the last bill that he paid for me. The university and bank went to collections and this is negatively affecting my credit.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest that you find a job and start supporting yourself. It's not daddy's job to support his adult child.

(This is based on the assumption that our OP is now an adult)

Silverplum

You have the option of getting a job and paying off your debts. Or not.

Your Dad has nothing to do with your debt. If he owes your Mom child support, it's HERS, and it's up to HER to collect it.

LdiJ

Its time to get a job. That is your only option at this point. You are a legal adult and neither of your parents are required to support you any longer, nor pay for college.

Antigone*

Your father is not obligated to support you unless there is a court order in effect.

It is sad to see how ungrateful a daughter you are. If you were my daughter and you were not doing well in school, I'd have yanked you too.

Get a job. Pay for your own school and pay for your own phone.

CSO286

First, to address the bolded, Dad cannot be in a child support battle with the children, because child support is not owed to the children (except in some very very rare instances).

And Dad's arrears that are owed to your mom will continue to be owed to your mom regardless or whether or not Dad refuses to pay.

Legally, unless it was court ordered, Dad has not obligation to support you past your 18th birthday AND high school graduation in the fine state of Florida.

Your legal remedies include getting a job and paying off your school debt in order to be able to restore your credit, return to school and further your education.

DaisyB23

Hi all, thanks for your responses. Couple things I didnt mention in my original post. I have been working since I was 15 years old and this is my first time being unemployed since. I have been working between 2 and 3 jobs while also attending school fulltime with a 3.0 GPA at my community college to pay my debt. To the person who replied that she would cut me off too, i am well aware of the mistakes I made, however I accept the responsibility of my actions. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't need a reminder that I messed up. I'm reminded everyday. I am actively looking for work since I am aware that my father doesn't intend to support me. I have been paying for my debt, since i lost my job I've been unable to pay. I just turned 19. He is required to pay child support to me until I turn 21 or graduate college. My mother used to be a teacher but suffers from disabilities and now lives off social security and a part time job. She doesnt receive spousal support.

LillianX

I just turned 19. He is required to pay child support to me until I turn 21 or graduate college.
No, he isn't. He is required to pay child support to your MOTHER until you turn 21 or graduate from college. The purpose of child support is to reimburse the custodial parent for the costs of taking care of a child. This does not go directly to the child. Your father owes you nothing. He owes your mother child support.

Silverplum

Hi all, thanks for your responses. Couple things I didnt mention in my original post. I have been working since I was 15 years old and this is my first time being unemployed since. I have been working between 2 and 3 jobs while also attending school fulltime with a 3.0 GPA at my community college to pay my debt.
All irrelevant to your question.

DaisyB23 said:
To the person who replied that she would cut me off too, i am well aware of the mistakes I made, however I accept the responsibility of my actions. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't need a reminder that I messed up. I'm reminded everyday. I am actively looking for work since I am aware that my father doesn't intend to support me. I have been paying for my debt, since i lost my job I've been unable to pay. I just turned 19.

DaisyB23 said:
He is required to pay child support to me until I turn 21 or graduate college. My mother used to be a teacher but suffers from disabilities and now lives off social security and a part time job. She doesnt receive spousal support.

Isis1

Actually, you are wrong. You need to read the rest of that law from wherever you pulled that from.

Unless you have a court order that says otherwise, child support is to be paid to the custodial parent. Not to you. And ONLY if a court order states the father is ORDERED to support the adult is he required to. It is not automatic.

CSO286

Hi all, thanks for your responses. Couple things I didnt mention in my original post. I have been working since I was 15 years old and this is my first time being unemployed since. I have been working between 2 and 3 jobs while also attending school fulltime with a 3.0 GPA at my community college to pay my debt. To the person who replied that she would cut me off too, i am well aware of the mistakes I made, however I accept the responsibility of my actions. I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't need a reminder that I messed up. I'm reminded everyday. I am actively looking for work since I am aware that my father doesn't intend to support me. I have been paying for my debt, since i lost my job I've been unable to pay. I just turned 19. He is required to pay child support to me until I turn 21 or graduate college. My mother used to be a teacher but suffers from disabilities and now lives off social security and a part time job. She doesnt receive spousal support.
No he is not. He may be required to pay child support to your MOM until then, but not to you.

The rest of your post has no legal bearing on your situation.

single317dad

My question is: what are my options, legally?
At great risk of redundancy, I offer this: Get a job.

Failing a traditional "job", try mowing lawns. $7,000 is nothing. If you're intelligent enough to craft the original post in this thread, you could easily apply yourself and eliminate that debt by the end of this year, all the while maintaining a roof over your head and food in your belly. Skip the phone (and the internet) for now.

2Mistakes

I wonder if OP should get a job. :D

Maybe I missed it, but is there even an order for support? Parents are still married.

Daddy definitely doesn't owe you squat, and if there's not an order for him to pay your mom any child support, he doesn't owe her squat either.

ETA: I just re-read your OP and you say that there is an "open case" for your dad to pay your mom CS. But is there an ORDER? Either way, no money is owed to YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">