• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college students hospital bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AuntieLou

What is the name of your state? NH

My ex-husband is required to pay $50 week child support until our son graduates from college next year. Our son was diagnosed with diabetes last December and now has hosptial bills as well as insulin maintenence bills. His father has medical insurance but lives in Nevada and the health plan doesnt cover all the expenses for treatment in Washington State, where my son is going to school. My ex is sending all the bills to our son at school and refuses to pay the deductibles or co-payments. Is there anything I can do to force him to pay? He is not paying anything toward the college bill. My son is 21 this year.

What does the order say about who is responsible for medical expenses not covered by insurance?

PS. Sorry about your son's medical issue. :(

aud

Does your son have type 1 (juvinile) diabetes or type 2 (adult onset) diabetes? There is a signifigant difference in both treatment and cost.....

nextwife

If the order doesn't specify that he is to provide health insurance past age 21, then he is not obligated to do so. VERY few insurance plans allow parents to keep a child past age 21 on the plan. MY employer's plan will not. When my child is 21, she'll need to be on the University's plan for students, or some other health insurance.

THis was ONLY Dad's responsibility IF he had a CO to continue to provide health insurance. Out of curiousity, does YOUR employer's health insurance plan cover an adult child in college who is older than 21?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
AuntieLou said:
His father has medical insurance but lives in Nevada and the health plan doesnt cover all the expenses for treatment in Washington State, where my son is going to school.
Presumably you knew this when your son started school - why didn't you enroll him in a plan offered by the university?

AuntieLou

College Student Hospital Bills

My son has Type I Diabetes. The university doesnt offer health insurance. The CO doesnt state anything about who covers what isnt covered by insurance. Can my ex-husband be court-ordered to help cover his sons' medical expenses at this time since he has to pay support until college is finished? What other options are there to help my son? Thanks

VeronicaGia

AuntieLou said:
My son has Type I Diabetes. The university doesnt offer health insurance. The CO doesnt state anything about who covers what isnt covered by insurance. Can my ex-husband be court-ordered to help cover his sons' medical expenses at this time since he has to pay support until college is finished? What other options are there to help my son? Thanks
Even if you were able to get an order now, it would start from the date of order forward, not backward. Since the order you have doesn't say he's responsible to pay, he is not responsible to pay. Your son is an adult. Thousands of adults live with diabetes and don't expect their parents to pony up the medical bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">