• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

college support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ozzieace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I have been paying child support on my two daughter for the past 18 years...3 years ago one of my daughters was killed in a car accident, I continued to pay the same amount of support to this day as if she was still alive, I have never even y
thought of dropping it.

My ex wife has never In 18 the years taken me back to court or asked for more money.
Now that my youngest has turned 18 (still in high school) my ex is expecting me to pay for half of any college classes that my daughter will attend.

While I am not trying to deprive my daughter of a college education, I can not afford this.
There is nothing in our decree that says I gave to pay for half of college expenses only provide support to her until the age of 21 if she stays in school.

I have 3 other children that I support in my home and we have told them all they must seek out scholarships for college as I cannot afford it.

My question is if my ex takes me to court can the court force me to pay for college and pay child support?

CJane

If your child is already 18, then no, Mom cannot take you back for additional support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">