• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Support Order and Aptitude for College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Especially because this parent hasn't been in the loop of grades etc., if ordered to pay for tuition, I would have verbiage in the order that requires the production of grades by (suggest within 2 days of receipt) and the reimbursement to BOTH parents for any classes that are not pass. Period. If they screw up, the child repays the parents for their percentage contribution.

anearthw

Dad, I was like your girls once. My parents also didn't care or know about my grades, which were abysmal, I think an astounding 30% in Chemistry if I recall. I finished university with a near 4.0 GPA once I grew up and realized that in college, I got to study things that I loved :eek: Why not give them a chance to prove themselves in an adult environment? They might surprise you.

You need to review the IPFW website. There is no way that costs would add up to 1300.00 being 1/3rd.
I did and you are right they don't. Tuition and fees for one student per year is $7950.00, books are $1400.00 per year for a total of $9350.00 per year per student. They are not living on campus. Each girl received the same financial aid offer of Federal Pell Grant $680.00, Stafford Loan $3500.00 and Stafford Loan $2000.00 per year. I just received this information this morning. They have not yet accepted the loans according to my attorney.

My attorney stated that in his experience a judge will typically order 1/3 to me before taking into account financial aid. I told him that I was under the impression that any grants and loans were subtracted first then the remaining balance was split between the parties either by 1/2 to each parent or 1/3 by parents and child. Am I misunderstanding something here? Do they not have to accept the loans that are offered to them and pass that expense onto the parent?

Hearing was postponed at request of opposing council.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I personally would not waste my money sending a kid to school for DANCE. My kids must maintain a B average in a major that actually has a financial future where they won't be working at a Mc Burgerjoint after they graduate.

Part of what I am wondering is that dad mentioned their heavy involvement in "dance". If their conditional acceptance into college is based perhaps on a real talent in "dance" (Thinking IU Bloomington state school or possibly out of state) then the grades issue isn't possibly as significant as their talent.

I should also clarify. The main IU campus has an incredible dance school that rates pretty high up nationally. On top of that, Indiana state colleges pretty much have to accept almost anyone "conditionally". However, at the same time I find it hard to believe that 1100.00 a MONTH would be 1/3rd of attending any Indiana state school, even for twins.

So, really, I need more info from dad.

RRevak

I personally would not waste my money sending a kid to school for DANCE. My kids must maintain a B average in a major that actually has a financial future where they won't be working at a Mc Burgerjoint after they graduate.
AGREED!! Esp when (depending on the type of dance) careers are short, money is dismal, and not everyone gets to be the next big thing. I'm really hoping OPs girls are attempting to major in something productive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">