• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Tuition Support Constitutional?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsK

I, personally, do not believe ANY parent should be forced to pay for college: married, divorced, parents from non formed families, whoever.

NotSoNew

i personally beleive its unconsitutional to order anyone to pay for their childs education, i found this great article:

"Child Support Reform"
by Becky Kiely
In Multnomah County, Orgeon, Judge Paula Kurshner has ruled that it is unconstitutional for a non-custodial parent to be required to provide any portion of college tuition for their adult children:

In cases where there is an intact family, with parents married and residing together, the statute has no application. In such cases, the parents have no legal obligation to provide support for adult children and adult children have no remedy for compelling such support. In essence, ORS 107.108 permits a burden to be imposed upon one class of citizens---divorced or separated parents---that cannot in like circumstances be imposed upon married parents residing together. Parents in this latter class are thus immune from such legal liability. Likewise, ORS 107.108 creates a privilege for one class of citizens---adult children of divorced or separated parents---that is not granted to children whose parents are married and residing together. In consequence, by establishing distinctions based upon the marital status of the parent, ORS 107.108 violates the equal protection clauses of both Oregon and United States constitutions.
Based on Judge Kurshner's summary above, the current child support (CS) collection laws are also unconstitutional.

In this regard, in cases where there is an intact family, with parents married and residing together, there is no statute for how much these parents must spend per month on their children. The only statutes come from child abuse laws, in that parents must provide safe haven, shelter, appropriate clothing for the weather conditions and food.

A non-custodial parent (NCP) is forced to pay a certain percentage of his or her income to the custodial parent (CP) each month. For example, in NY, the percentage is 17% for one child and increases for each other child. A minimum of $25 must be awarded to the CP, according to state law.

This is a case of one class of citizens being burdened with circumstances that are not imposed on another.

I am not for a moment suggesting that there should be no financial obligation to one's children, but there needs to be equality.

BOTH parents need to be equally responsible for the well-being of their children. Also, CS should not be used to subsidize the CP's standard of living for their own gain. Child support is just that, support of a child, not a child and his/her parent.

And, it must be noted that CS is NOT merely financial support. All too often, the burden of the support obligation prevents the NCP from having contact with their children. The laws do a great injustice to the children by forcing the NCP to be no more than a wallet. Is it really in their best interests to pad the CP's checkbook while denying them the love, support and teaching of the NCP? Is it not in the best interest of the children to define support as "financial, emotional, loving and equally important from both parents?"

The current laws also create a privilege for one class of citizen - the children of divorced parents - that is not granted to another - the children of intact families. No child of intact families has the entire government looking out for his financial welfare by stating guidelines of how much money a parent must pay for their support.

Again, as an example, NY S413, states,

A validly executed agreement or stipulation voluntarily entered into between the parties after the effective date of this subdivision presented to the court for incorporation in an order or judgment shall include a provision stating that the parties have been advised of the provisions of this subdivision and that the basic child support obligation provided for therein would presumptively result in the correct amount of child support to be awarded. In the event that such agreement or stipulation deviates from the basic child support obligation, the agreement or stipulation must specify the amount that such basic child support obligation would have been and the reason or reasons that such agreement or stipulation does not provide for payment of that amount. Such provision may not be waived by either party or counsel.
Why has this been introduced into law? Is it because our lawmakers don't believe that two adults can come to an agreement on what's right for their children? Or, is it because if the parents make and adhere to their own agreement, the state will realize no profit from the child support collection units via the federal government's support collections incentives?

I don't know if every state has this same statute, but I do know that every state does have equal protection clauses for all and these clauses are being ignored by the CS laws of every single state in this nation.

Our constitution presumes all of us innocent until proven guilty, but the CS laws presume NCPs to be guilty with no chance to prove their innocence. Is not this presumption contrary to our constitution?

CS awards are automatically garnisheed, rather than giving the parent the opportunity to fulfill his or her obligation with responsibility and dignity. Instead, their wages are immediately attached and they are threatened with losses of drivers licenses, professional licenses and tax returns for non-compliance, regardless of the reason for the non-compliance.

Involuntary unemployment and disability are NOT considered valid reasons for an adjustment in CS. If a CP loses his or her job or is on disability, CS awards can be raised or the CP can apply for public assistance to help with the children's expenses. Why is this same benefit not extended to NCPs?

Again, this is a case of a legal benefit (or burden) that applies to one class of citizen, yet not to another. And, why is the CP's wage not attached and an amount deposited into an account solely for the welfare of the children? Why are they not made to share in the financial burden of their children?

It is in the best interests of the children to protect the constitutional rights of their parents. BOTH their parents. Equality is in the best interests of the children, not gender bias, not making the NCP a blank check and nothing more.

The current child support laws are in direct conflict with our constitution's equal protection clauses and this MUST be rectified. We cannot go on allowing the constitutional rights of any citizen, much less millions of them, to be violated by our own government!

fairisfair

Of course, every one is going to have their own opinion on this one. Especially those married to a NCP or NCP's themselves. I am a custodial parent who would love to see my child get college assistance from her Deadbeat dad, (and yes, he is that in every sense of the word), but is it fair? hmmm not sure, I would expect daddy if still in the relationship to assist in those needs, that makes me think yes, I also know that financial aid to students is based on the income of the parents, so if they don't help, how can that be fair? again, making me think yes, but should a choice to continue to assist an "adult" child be forced on a parent......hmmm***** I am still wondering.

Knowing that child support is meant to give the child(ren) the benefit of if the parents were together, until intact families are forced to give assistance for college, then NCP's shouldn't be forced either. I think it's very noble if a person wants to help their child but they shouldn't have to if either they don't want to or don't have the money (perhaps there are other minor children to raise). My intention with my own children is to help where I can but it's up to them to get scholarships and try on their own first. I also intend to ensure my kids have the best possible education before the college years come into play (I'm considering private school or whatever it takes). With my step daughters, my husband intends to help if he can (as will I) but we don't think it should be our legal obligation to help with my biokids or my step kids.

emilye

I am a daughter of divorced parents, and NEITHER was forced to pay for my college. At the time, I was eligible for some grants/scholarships but those are really not enough to pay for a full class load with, but I couldn't qualify for financial aid as my parents made "too much money" according to the financial aid officer (even though neither was willing to pay for it). I was told again and again that financial aid loans were for "needy students," not those whose parents made "good money."

In order to get the loans, I had to wait several years after high school and reapply when enough time had passed that my eligibility wasn't based on their earnings anymore.

Even so, I don't think they should have been obligated or ordered to pay any more than my friend's parents who were still married to each other. Instead the financial aid system should be updated so that kids can qualify for financial aid no matter how much income their parents have.

emilye said:
Even so, I don't think they should have been obligated or ordered to pay any more than my friend's parents who were still married to each other. Instead the financial aid system should be updated so that kids can qualify for financial aid no matter how much income their parents have.
I have to disagree. The taxpayers should not have to subsidize someones education just because their parents are jack@$$es. :mad: It's for students whose parents can't afford to send them.

I was in the same situation as you were, but I feel that parents who can afford to help their children get a higher education should, and the rest of us should not have to cover it for them. There would be absolutely no motivation for financially stable parents to help out their kids if this was the case.

nextwife

If the states are so confident that parents have a DUTY to pay for their kid's college support, those states should indeed have the guts to require ALL parents, not just not-still-together parents to pay for CS. I wonder if those states voters are as willing to impose that obligations on ALL parents, not just divorced and never married parents?

FYI- My parents did NOT pay for my or any of my sibling's college eductions. And we all not only got through college, but one has a doctorate, and one has two Masters degrees.

NotSoNew

Ithildriel said:
I have to disagree. The taxpayers should not have to subsidize someones education just because their parents are jack@$$es. :mad: It's for students whose parents can't afford to send them.

I was in the same situation as you were, but I feel that parents who can afford to help their children get a higher education should, and the rest of us should not have to cover it for them. There would be absolutely no motivation for financially stable parents to help out their kids if this was the case.
my parents were (and are still) married when i went to college. i was never eligible for aid because they "made too much money" however they didnt HAVE any extra money to send me to college and because of this i didnt go for several years after high school (until i figured out i could get loans) just because someones parents are deemed to make too much money for aid, doesnt mean they can afford to help their children and are choosing not to.

NotSoNew said:
my parents were (and are still) married when i went to college. i was never eligible for aid because they "made too much money" however they didnt HAVE any extra money to send me to college and because of this i didnt go for several years after high school (until i figured out i could get loans) just because someones parents are deemed to make too much money for aid, doesnt mean they can afford to help their children and are choosing not to.
Yes, qualifying for aid, and qualifying for loans are two seperate things.

The federally subsidized student loans are pretty easy to get. A student whose parent's make to much to qualify for those is what I am talking about. This does not appear to be your parents case.

Silverplum

nextwife said:
If the states are so confident that parents have a DUTY to pay for their kid's college support, those states should indeed have the guts to require ALL parents, not just not-still-together parents to pay for CS. I wonder if those states voters are as willing to impose that obligations on ALL parents, not just divorced and never married parents?
WORD to the goddess!

NotSoNew said:
I was in the same boat. My mother (dad was totally out of the picture) was by no means able to help pay for school but she "made to much" (which I don't know how they figure.....my mother was far from well off and had a labor type job and didn't make that much money). Plus, my brother is 13 years younger than me and he was only like 6 (still very much a minor) and she simply didn't have the money to "send me" to school. I ended up waiting until only my income would be included and I also took out loans.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My ex is ordered to pay for college. Because he insisted on it at the time of the order. When he last tried to weasel out of it (and no, not because he makes less money), it was made clear by the judge that he'd made his bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">