• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe57

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
My oldest son is in his second year of college on a full naval scholarship. My ex-spouse lives in Massachusetts. We were divorced in Rhode Island - -she then moved to Massachusetts. I am still paying child support and she expects me to pay 1/2 of all his living expenses. I would like to know if he is considered a part of the military. He receives $500 a month from the navy. Am I obligated to pay child support now that he is a full time college student and getting a stippend from the navy?
Also, my second son is just finishing his senior year of high school and will be attending college in the fall. Am I still obligated to pay for half of his college expenses?
I was divorced in Rhode Island under Rhode Island law and she filed for modification in Massachusetts.

justalayman

Joe57 said:
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
My oldest son is in his second year of college on a full naval scholarship. My ex-spouse lives in Massachusetts. We were divorced in Rhode Island - -she then moved to Massachusetts. I am still paying child support and she expects me to pay 1/2 of all his living expenses. I would like to know if he is considered a part of the military. He receives $500 a month from the navy. Am I obligated to pay child support now that he is a full time college student and getting a stippend from the navy?
Also, my second son is just finishing his senior year of high school and will be attending college in the fall. Am I still obligated to pay for half of his college expenses?
I was divorced in Rhode Island under Rhode Island law and she filed for modification in Massachusetts.
What does you CS order say about when you get to quit supporting your children?
What does it say about paying for your children's college?

Your answers are in your paperwork.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Is he required to be in either the reserves or go full blown navy after graduation in exchange for the scholarship?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">