• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado child support and college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sesmith0116

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My girlfriend has a son who is going to be turning 19 years old later this month. His father lives in New York and she lives in Colorado. Child support in Colorado ends when the child reaches 19 years old. Her son is still living at home with her and is going to college. I remember reading somewhere that the child support continues if the child is enrolled in college and still living at home, but I can not find out where I found it. (I believe its till the child is 23 years old) Is this still true? They were divorced here in Colorado in 2007. Her ex thinks that he can just stop paying the child support next month but I believe they still have to go to court and there has to be an order by a judge before he can stop paying. If this is true, can you please provide the CRS or statute...

Thank you,

Scott

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My girlfriend has a son who is going to be turning 19 years old later this month. His father lives in New York and she lives in Colorado. Child support in Colorado ends when the child reaches 19 years old. Her son is still living at home with her and is going to college. I remember reading somewhere that the child support continues if the child is enrolled in college and still living at home, but I can not find out where I found it. (I believe its till the child is 23 years old) Is this still true? They were divorced here in Colorado in 2007. Her ex thinks that he can just stop paying the child support next month but I believe they still have to go to court and there has to be an order by a judge before he can stop paying. If this is true, can you please provide the CRS or statute...

Thank you,

Scott
Unless that's included in the court order, you are wrong on all counts except that child support ends at 19.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
However, the mother should review her divorce decree to see if there were any provisions in there for $ towards college.

LdiJ

Unless that's included in the court order, you are wrong on all counts except that child support ends at 19.
That depends on which state has jurisdiction over the child support order. It its NY, they will not stop support until the child is 21.

If its CO, you are correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">