• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complex case too much work for an attorney? Hire another attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilamya22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My attorney was able to prove my ex could work despite him claiming he was disabled and could not work. The master hearing officer and my attorney imputed income at 40 hours for 15 an hour for a child support of 450.00 a month. I hired a PI who found out my ex is and has been working as a pizza delivery driver six days a week from open to close (67+hours a week) making about 1200 to 1500 a week. His wages are hourly, tips, and delivery charges. My attorney does not seem interested to purse this as this is a complex case for him he says I should stick to the order already in place instead of pursing my ex for more money. I advised my attorney I would need more money since my daughter has learning disabilities and needs a lot of care-has many needs. I told my lawyer it would be easy to prove what my ex is working because his job is visible and out in public so its not hard to know when he is working despite what he and his employer says. What do you think I should do? Should I get another attorney? Attorney do this a lot and for a living, but for me, this is my first case and I am already living with a bad decision for the rest of my life by having a child with my ex. What should I do? Please help young single mother. Thank you.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My attorney was able to prove my ex could work despite him claiming he was disabled and could not work. The master hearing officer and my attorney imputed income at 40 hours for 15 an hour for a child support of 450.00 a month. I hired a PI who found out my ex is and has been working as a pizza delivery driver six days a week from open to close (67+hours a week) making about 1200 to 1500 a week. His wages are hourly, tips, and delivery charges. My attorney does not seem interested to purse this as this is a complex case for him he says I should stick to the order already in place instead of pursing my ex for more money. I advised my attorney I would need more money since my daughter has learning disabilities and needs a lot of care-has many needs. I told my lawyer it would be easy to prove what my ex is working because his job is visible and out in public so its not hard to know when he is working despite what he and his employer says. What do you think I should do? Should I get another attorney? Attorney do this a lot and for a living, but for me, this is my first case and I am already living with a bad decision for the rest of my life by having a child with my ex. What should I do? Please help young single mother. Thank you.
Perhaps instead of paying your attorney you could put the money towards your child's disabilities?

That might help you at least a little bit.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do you owe your attorney money?

You should also check PA CS guidelines to see if overtime is counted in the calculation. Perhaps you should take a different tack and ask if the child's expenses for her disability can be addressed separately.

p.s. A PI for documenting those hours must have cost a pretty penny. Just sayin'.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You realize proving what he earns as a delivery driver can be difficult due to the fact that he has to have insurance and what not which are most likely tax deductions. Plus he may not get a check and he may be paid on tips. How do you think you can prove he is earning $1200 a week? Seriously?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
$1200/wk at 67 hrs/wk (I took the minimum you posted) works out to nearly $18/hr. I seriously doubt a pizza delivery dude makes that kind of bank.

torimac

Instead of pursuing more money based on fluctuating pay, ask that medical, educational and other expenses due to the child's disability be calculated separately. Many child support orders contain a monthly amount and the orders that require parents to split certain costs either 50/50 or based on salary differences. This is useful because his earning may change drastically but you both will be responsible of your share of those costs regardless of pay. Of course this goes both ways...if you are laid off and living on unemployment and savings, you will still be responsible for your portion of the disability/medical costs.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you. You must be paying child support too.
I'll echo what was said to you above. For the record, I am the obligee of a child support order that has six-figure arrears. Kind of blows your smug theory out of the water, huh? :rolleyes:

lilamya22

Thank you /Proserpina. You must be paying child support too. Everyone else thank you for your comments as I am reading them right now... I am at the hearing now and will keep you posted. Thanks so much.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you /Proserpina. You must be paying child support too. Everyone else thank you for your comments as I am reading them right now... I am at the hearing now and will keep you posted. Thanks so much.
You can just suffer yourself then. You are a jerk. Proserpina is NOT paying child support but quite frankly, you have a bit of an issue dealing with the reality you are being told.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thank you. You must be paying child support too.
You're a peach. I think I understand why your attorney isn't interested in extending him/herself for you.

Proserpina

You're quite a silly little girl, aren't you?

I expect the OG Effect to manifest in 5 ... 4 ...

:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">