• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conceived under adultery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

over_it_all

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am divorced with four children from my husband of eight years. I have been through DCSE since our divorce in 2004. My first issue is that how is it that he is allowed a child credit for twins that were conceived while we were still married? Granted he is now married to the mother of the twins but how is that fair to my four which were here first? With DSCE allowing him credit for the twins that leaves my children to receive only $348 a month :mad: ; which they have not seen in over a year. What does it take to get these people to actually do something to help these kids out????

CJane

In states that offer a child credit, it's for biological or foster or adopted children in that parent's physical custody. My ex, when we go for a modification will get a credit for his new daughter, I'll get a credit for my new child as well.... that's just the way it works. Has nothing to do with when the children were born.

nextwife

IF she filed for CS before you did, her order gets calculated first. I don't agree with it- I think all kids should get comparable support, but the result is your kids getting less.

CJane

IF she filed for CS before you did, her order gets calculated first. I don't agree with it- I think all kids should get comparable support, but the result is your kids getting less.
Since he's now married to the mother of that child, I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with CS he's paying her... some states (mine, for instance) offer a credit of a certain amount per child in each parent's custody. That amount is deducted from the income of the parent with the child.

That amount is also based on the custodial parent of that 'extra' child. SO my ex gets a $700 credit for his daughter, I get a $400 credit for my son because my income is significantly lower than his. The CS I get for my son is then added back into my income, so it comes out that my ex gets that $700 credit and I get a $78 credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">