• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused about child support and college support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broncocakes

What is the name of your state? California

Hoping someone can help me here regarding child support and college support. My divorce papers states:

“Husband’s obligation to make child support payments for the child shall cease on further court order or the death of husband or wife, or when the child marries, dies, become emancipated, ceases to be in the physical custody of the wife, reaches 19 or reaches 18 and is not a non-self supporting full-time high school student, which ever occurs first. The parties agree to equally share all continuing education, including but not limited to: trade school, college, graduate or post-graduate schooling."What is the name of your state?

My daughter will graduate next year, but will not be 18 until much later. Do I still continue paying until she is 18? Or 19?

She is also going to college do I have to pay for that too? If I do, will it be the same amount as the child support I pay?

I am so confused! Thanks!What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You pay child support until high school graduation and then you get to pay 50% of her college expenses as well which most likely will be MORE than what you have been paying in child support. And that should be 50% after all grants and scholarships have been deducted from the tuition/room and board.

broncocakes

Thanks for the info. I have another question. The child support is being garnished from my wages. So do I file to end the child support when she gradates or do I let it be, since I have to pay 50% of her college expenses.

fairisfair

Thanks for the info. I have another question. The child support is being garnished from my wages. So do I file to end the child support when she gradates or do I let it be, since I have to pay 50% of her college expenses.
you need to file to terminate and do so at least 60-90 days before her expected graduation.

CourtClerk

Why did you agree to the college expenses? That is not standard in California. And all the way through post graduate school?!?!?! You could be paying for college until she is in her 30's.

MrsK

HUGE mistake agreeing to pay for college.

And what will likely happen is that there will be a bill for college, payment required to attend classes, and you'll certainly be getting a call telling you what your portion is.

You should file to end support when she is 18, and at the same time, clarify the order for college. The smart thing to do now (since you wont be able to get out of it...) would be that the kid must apply for all financial aid possible, and then if she qualifies for ANY of that, you & the other parent split THAT 50/50, and that you pay your 50% directly to the college.

StampGirl

Wow!! How did OP get on the hook for paying for college even grad school in the state of California???

Wish I could have gotten that deal!!! (just kidding) We have 3 kids and college is going to be expensive whether grants are given or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">