• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A confusing child support mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blessings

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My husbands ex just recently got custody of my 3 step children we have been raising for 7 years without her help or participation in their lives besides a occasional visit on the weekends when she felt like it, now she wants child support after he turned it off numerous times for her when we had custody, she forbids the kids to talk to any of his family or me and tells them they will be grounded and in big trouble if they do(i only know this because my step son constantly tries to reach out to me on fb) is there anything he can do to have a judge rule visits with them supervised or anything? she got allocation of parental rights of the kids by coaching my step daughter(rebellious pre teen) to falsely accuse her father of abuse, long drawn out process and a year later she got what she wanted and she is still trying to get him for anything she can, can we fight back for defamation of character or atleast get him visits with the kids supervised?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husbands ex just recently got custody of my 3 step children we have been raising for 7 years without her help or participation in their lives besides a occasional visit on the weekends when she felt like it, now she wants child support after he turned it off numerous times for her when we had custody, she forbids the kids to talk to any of his family or me and tells them they will be grounded and in big trouble if they do(i only know this because my step son constantly tries to reach out to me on fb) is there anything he can do to have a judge rule visits with them supervised or anything? she got allocation of parental rights of the kids by coaching my step daughter(rebellious pre teen) to falsely accuse her father of abuse, long drawn out process and a year later she got what she wanted and she is still trying to get him for anything she can, can we fight back for defamation of character or atleast get him visits with the kids supervised?
You can't fight for anything> YOU have no rights to be in touch with these children. You really don't. She has a right to receive child support. You are a legal stranger. Your husband, if he wants visits, can petition for them. Why didn't he ask when she got custody? And no, there is no defamation of character case here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Dad can have his parenting time with his kids supervised if he chooses, But, no, he cannot get Mom's custodial time supervised. That doesn't even make sense.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It doesn't add up. OP claims mom has had not participation in the lives of the children except for an occasional weekend visit, but then the OP goes on to claim that mom had enough influence on the lives of the children to hatch a scheme involving false allegations that were ultimately found to be credible.

Proserpina

My husbands ex just recently got custody of my 3 step children we have been raising for 7 years without her help or participation in their lives besides a occasional visit on the weekends when she felt like it, now she wants child support after he turned it off numerous times for her when we had custody, she forbids the kids to talk to any of his family or me and tells them they will be grounded and in big trouble if they do(i only know this because my step son constantly tries to reach out to me on fb)
Well, there must be more to this story. Custody doesn't get changed on a whim. And it doesn't get changed because a pre-teen falsely accuses the current custodial parent of abuse.

What really happened?

is there anything he can do to have a judge rule visits with them supervised or anything? she got allocation of parental rights of the kids by coaching my step daughter(rebellious pre teen) to falsely accuse her father of abuse, long drawn out process and a year later she got what she wanted and she is still trying to get him for anything she can, can we fight back for defamation of character or atleast get him visits with the kids supervised?
Court documents cannot be used as the basis of a defamation suit.

I do have a question. You've put this in the child support forum - why is that?

I see no child support mess here - I see a custodial parent wanting child support from the NCP. Am I missing something? Are you saying that Mom shouldn't get child support?

Zigner

I see no child support mess here - I see a custodial parent wanting child support from the NCP. Am I missing something? Are you saying that Mom shouldn't get child support?
I think it's indicative of the motivation for this post. It doesn't have to do with the kids, it has to do with the money that her hubby's kids will be getting instead of her.

LdiJ

You = preacher
Me = choir.

:D
I agree. However, I do admit that I feel some empathy for people in her shoes. Its a big shock to the budget and many people could have a hard time recovering from that kind of shock.

Zigner

I agree. However, I do admit that I feel some empathy for people in her shoes. Its a big shock to the budget and many people could have a hard time recovering from that kind of shock.
I don't think it's that huge of a shock. The OP now has 3 fewer people to clothe and feed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">