• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

payan2006

AZ

I had court today and the judge ordered that I pay for the month of Dec. immediately, since I could not pay it last month.

The problem is I don't get paid again until the 20th what can I do?

mistoffolees

AZ

I had court today and the judge ordered that I pay for the month of Dec. immediately, since I could not pay it last month.

The problem is I don't get paid again until the 20th what can I do?
You could borrow the money. You could take money out of your savings. You could sell something. You could not pay and risk being found in contempt.

What do you want someone here to do for you?

payan2006

Haha, that was funny. But seriously, I wish I could do any of what you mentioned, but its not possible. Ill pay on the 20th for sure though, what could happen if I wait until then?

mistoffolees

Haha, that was funny. But seriously, I wish I could do any of what you mentioned, but its not possible. Ill pay on the 20th for sure though, what could happen if I wait until then?
What COULD happen? You could earn yourself some jail time.

Is it likely? Probably not. Did you tell the judge that you wouldn't get paid until the 20th? If you had done that, odds are pretty good that he would have given you the 9 days. It's too late now - you may just have to take your chances.

payan2006

He did not allow me to, he told his helper that was typing to write the order then he went out the door, literally. Can't I just go down to court tomorrow and explain my situation, I'm not trying to get away from paying, I just need time till I get paid.

Proserpina

He did not allow me to, he told his helper that was typing to write the order then he went out the door, literally. Can't I just go down to court tomorrow and explain my situation, I'm not trying to get away from paying, I just need time till I get paid.

Have you actually seen the order?

What does it ACTUALLY say, word for word?

payan2006

No ma'am, I usually check the states website when it becomes available, but I think I can see it in court if I go right?

Unless there are some very unusual circumstances, if you pay on the 20th, nothing at all will happen, except you'll be charged an extra 9 days of interest.

I can tell you with 99 percent certainly that you won't spend time in jail because:

1) an order to pay immediately is too indefinite (reasonable minds differ)
2) you have the defense of inability
3) she's not going to hire an attorney to bring a motion because it will have been paid by the time she hires some one.
4) the state won't prosecute as they have cases where people, uh, actually haven't paid in years.
5) the court will laugh because the it's a waste of judicial resources (since it will have been paid by the time it comes to court)

The notion of jail, under these circumstances, as a practical matter, is ludicrous.

Last edited:
You could borrow the money. You could take money out of your savings. You could sell something. You could not pay and risk being found in contempt.

What do you want someone here to do for you?
Doesnt the word "immediately" mean right then and there on the spot? How could the person sell something while in court?

mistoffolees

Doesnt the word "immediately" mean right then and there on the spot? How could the person sell something while in court?
Because obviously the court did not interpret 'immediately' that way - or they wouldn't have let OP leave without paying. Obviously, the court was allowing SOME amount of time.

DownTime

The judge wants December paid, and the 20th is nearly the end of January. Did you pay January yet? What day is it due within the month, the 11th or that was just this time?

Staying a month behind is a bad thing, if that's the case. You have some scrambling to do! 9 days for the December payment may or may not be reprimanded, but even more time for the next month overdue probably will be. Catch up asap before it snowballs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">