• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conservatorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lynda99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Some relatives of mine (senior citizens like me) have 3 children living with them under a "in loco parentis", agreement done about 5 years ago when the kids came to live with them. They basically just let the kids move in so they didn't have to go to foster care. The biological mom is a crackhead and has lost custody of her other kids.

This sounds kind of mean, but my friends are not really parents to these kids. I think they regret getting themselves into it. I guess they thought it was like getting a shelter dog. :(

Anyway, the oldest, Elizabeth, is an A student, and a kind and wonderful child. She is wise beyond her years for terrible reasons. She just turned 17 and is a senior.

Nobody is going to help her with college. Nobody. I am on social security and just get by or I would help her.

Scholarships are few and far between, and she will only have the money she can make herself. She works at McDonalds.

Is there any chance that the state could take conservatorship under these circumstances so she can go to school?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Some relatives of mine (senior citizens like me) have 3 children living with them under a "in loco parentis", agreement done about 5 years ago when the kids came to live with them. They basically just let the kids move in so they didn't have to go to foster care. The biological mom is a crackhead and has lost custody of her other kids.

This sounds kind of mean, but my friends are not really parents to these kids. I think they regret getting themselves into it. I guess they thought it was like getting a shelter dog. :(

Anyway, the oldest, Elizabeth, is an A student, and a kind and wonderful child. She is wise beyond her years for terrible reasons. She just turned 17 and is a senior.

Nobody is going to help her with college. Nobody. I am on social security and just get by or I would help her.

Scholarships are few and far between, and she will only have the money she can make herself. She works at McDonalds.

Is there any chance that the state could take conservatorship under these circumstances so she can go to school?
First, the state isn't going to take conservatorship. The kids are clothed and fed, so the state won't step in.

Even if they do, why should the state send the kid to college? I had to pay my own way and all of my brothers and sisters, did, as well. College is not an entitlement- you might actually have to work for it. Between scholarships, grants, loans, and work study, pretty much anyone who really wants to go to college can manage it - even if their parents don't pay.

Lynda99

She works full time, and in no way could get enough for tuition, dorm, and other costs. She doesn't live driving distance to a college, and anyway she will not be able to live with those people after she graduates.

How does someone under 18 get a school loan if there is no parent?

mistoffolees

She works full time, and in no way could get enough for tuition, dorm, and other costs. She doesn't live driving distance to a college, and anyway she will not be able to live with those people after she graduates.
Life's tough. That's no excuse for teaching her that the world owes her a college education.

Oh, and btw, lots of people manage to put themselves through school without the state giving them a free ride. Heck, I paid for 10 years of college and graduate school and my parents' entire contribution was the $50 application fee. You're just making excuses for her rather than encouraging her to find a way. It sounds like she hasn't even researched all the programs available - you're simply assuming that she can't get any aid.

How does someone under 18 get a school loan if there is no parent?
Either she waits until she's 18 (which would give her more time to save money) or asks the court to appoint a legal guardian or else files for emancipation.

And where's Dad in this picture? He could also sign for a loan.

Alex1176

If she really wants to do it she will do it. She can go to a city college or for associates degree.
I know a lot of people that came to this country in older age with poor English, irrelevant education and now doing good. So A young American with citizenship and good English wouldn't succeed?
There are a lot of opportunities for a young and smart Americans. Just get out of the bed and grab them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">