• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contact Lenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idontknow29

What is the name of your state NY

Hello my new order three years ago states I am to pay weekly support for the one child. Also I am to cover 1/2 medical. The mother has started sending me bills for contact lenses.

I feel the child is perfectly capable of wearing glasses as the insurance covers. There is no special medial need for this. Would this be considered cosmetic, is there a law pertaining to this?

I feel if I let this go, I am going to get a bill for braces, to which she has been told she does not need by a doctor and of course the nose job she wants.

FYI: The mother and I were never married, no divorce decree.

idontknow29

At this point it not a matter of how she feels. My business accounts have went from 60k a year to 21k. I cannot afford this right now. Next year maybe, but this year I am trying to dig myself out of the economy hole.

idontknow29

my support is always paid on time. I give as much as possible. I am not a deadbeat dad.

My business to failing due to the economy and I would like to pay for this but at this point if I do not pay my insurances which I am struggling to do I will lose my license to operate thus my business. Then I will have no income to pay for anything.

idontknow29

15. I am sorry I did not know I was going to have to devulge personal information I thought maybe someone could pull a law on this since it is a holiday and I do not own a Lexis Nexis family law book.. I did not realize this was a chat forum. Thanks anyways

ecmst12

Contact lenses are not purely cosmetic. They improve vision more effectively then glasses and in fact they are usually CHEAPER. And they are covered by insurance similar to glasses most of the time too. My contacts are less then $200 for a years supply (that will actually last longer). My last pair of glasses was over $600.

idontknow29

the child is on Medicaid from the State. I am self employed and do not have health insurance available to me. The state also pays for eye glasses, she did not like the frames to pick from so I paid 390.00 for the frames she wanted. The physician states the lenses are not medically needed. Laws?

boye72

This is not an answer, but I had to put in my two cents worth and will probably be scolded. However, I am a step-mom of 15 years and a mom of two of my own. There have been many times over the years we have had hard times financially and have had to tell both my husbands children and my own children we are sorry they can not have it their way, maybe later. I would like to see the question answered, not remarks about whether or not he cares about his kids. Some times kids just don't get what they want even though we would like to give them the world.

nextwife

Way to go dad! :rolleyes:
I disagree with you. It's not about what the child WANTS. If parents are financially strapped, there is no reason a child should NOT learn at a young age about being fiscally responsible. I said no to my kiddo when she requested contacts. (A. she's not responsible enough and B. She doesn't need them, she has three nice pairs of glasses).

I am sorry, but this whole "But my kid should get it because they want it" attitude is why I see so many fiscally undisciplined adults. I handle default loans and bankruptcies and witness daily a whole generation of people who think they have a RIGHT to get something no matter whether they need it, or whether they can truly afford it. And they then raise their kids that way.

It's OK to say NO to your kids if it's not necessary. Or to make a child do chores to EARN the money to buy something unnecessary. My folks made me do that, and I learned financially responsibility very young. Contacts are NOT a necessity. I'm 55 and still have not bought any, ever.

idontknow29

Then why is this a question? :confused:
Before starting any war with the child mother I wanted to make sure that there is a law or something that states I do not have to cover cosmetic contact lenses. I feel I am being reasonable.

The child will be 16 in four months, I have even offered to have her work here in my office to make a little extra money. The child is not going without, she is well provided for. My other child is 17 works 30 hours a week and goes to school full time. I do believe that that she should also work for the extra things she wants.

Is there a law out there that can help me with this?

Just Blue

15. I am sorry I did not know I was going to have to devulge personal information
Asking the age of the child is not requesting "personal info". There are probable MILLIONS of 15 year old children on your state. :rolleyes:

SESmama

My opinion? No, I do not believe there is a law that states you are required to cover it. If it is documented it is not medically necessary then don't pay for it. You have offered compromises and a way it can be done. If she is working in your office you are "technically" paying for them as you are paying her from your business, just not all at once.

However, psychologically? I remember being about 15 and having to wear glasses. I sometimes fear that damage of being socially unacceptable will never go away. BUT I did end up paying for half of the contacts not covered when my parents finally relented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">