• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contacted about paternity after 17 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jvincent

Sorry. I have been contacted by someone I was with 18 years ago. She said she might be pregnant but she was also with her boyfriend. I heard nothing more. Now she has contacted me say I am the biological father. She says she only wants to talk. I am in California and she is in TN.

Just Blue

Sorry. I have been contacted by someone I was with 18 years ago. She said she might be pregnant but she was also with her boyfriend. I heard nothing more. Now she has contacted me say I am the biological father. She says she only wants to talk. I am in California and she is in TN.
You are not the biological father till a court order DNA test determines that.

Jvincent

Understood. So do I talk to her to find out why she is contacting me so many years later? Do a "lawyer up" which will cost me a fortune?

CSO286

No harm in talking.

Age of majority for Tennessee is 18. Child must be 17 (or pretty close).

What are you worried about? Are you getting a vibe that she's looking for child support? A vibe that she might be looking into legal options? (Asking, not judging.)

As a previous poster stated, you aren't the father until a legal DNA test says so.

Info about your state's child support laws: https://ocsp.acf.hhs.gov/irg/profile.html?selection=STA&stateGeoBox=47

Jvincent

Money always comes to mind even though I have never be informed or taken a test. He has had a father his whole life essentially so I do not know why I have been contacted, which is now damaging my family that did not exist at the time.

CSO286

Money always comes to mind even though I have never be informed or taken a test. He has had a father his whole life essentially so I do not know why I have been contacted, which is now damaging my family that did not exist at the time.
Possibly they have been (sort of) honest with him and told him that that man isn't his biological father and now Billy wants to know.

Maybe there's a medical need for sorting out paternity.

Maybe it is all about money.

You aren't going to know without talking to Mom.

Be open, be kind. Don't borrow trouble. If things start turning nasty, or you get served, we're still here to help. Heck, even if they don't and you just have questions, we're still here to help.

Jvincent

My wife is taking this personally. Not believing I did now know, that the women was much younger than me and how it could cause financial issues for us.

Just Blue

My wife is taking this personally. Not believing I did now know, that the women was much younger than me and how it could cause financial issues for us.
Tell your wife to mind her own LEGAL business.

Please retype the bolded as it makes no sense.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Tell your wife that this can't financially damage your family. Child support would most likely only be ordered for a few months if that IF and ONCE you are determined to be the biological father. And that is if no one else has been the legal father.
Your wife should not be taking this personally if you were not with her at the time.

CSO286

Well, it could. She is right.

You knew it was possible that you had a child out there. (Science 101: Sex often results in pregnancy.)

You have not followed up on that possibility.

It is not rearing its head, but is still only a possibility.

If Mom is saying you're dad, you need to begin walking down that path. Find out the truth, and that will give you your starting point.

Not legal advice, but you and your wife might want to consider some counseling to help process all of this and the accompanying chaotic emotions these kind of issues stir up. (More tools in the toolbox never hurt anyone, right?)

CSO286

Tell your wife that this can't financially damage your family. Child support would most likely only be ordered for a few months if that IF and ONCE you are determined to be the biological father. And that is if no one else has been the legal father.
Your wife should not be taking this personally if you were not with her at the time.
Should not......but often do we do things we should not do????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">