• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B_cald84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

So, I was held in contempt of court for failure to pay extra curricular fees and my share of medical bills. I accept that, mea culpa. In the contempt hearing, in which I was pro se, the judge directly told the opposing attorney he was responsible for drafting the paperwork, filing the papers for my back charges to be added to my child support, and send me a copy of the draft for my review before it gets sent to the judge to sign. This was all done and ordered to return in two months to see how everything is going and further assess what court costs and attorney fees I will be responsible for.

I have not received the draft yet, nor has my support changed.

I'm worried because this attorney has done this to me before and gotten me in this situation.

When I go back to court, how do I turn this to the lawyers fault and not mine? Can he be held in contempt and forfeit his fees?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Guess Mom's boyfriend wasn't all wet.

Since you last posted in early September, and you had not even been served yet, would it be correct to infer that you went to court sometime between mid September an mid October?

Two months is therefore when?

B_cald84

Guess Mom's boyfriend wasn't all wet.

Since you last posted in early September, and you had not even been served yet, would it be correct to infer that you went to court sometime between mid September an mid October?

Two months is therefore when?
Was it September? Sorry my timeline is off. It would have been early September, if I remember correctly.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

So, I was held in contempt of court for failure to pay extra curricular fees and my share of medical bills. I accept that, mea culpa. In the contempt hearing, in which I was pro se, the judge directly told the opposing attorney he was responsible for drafting the paperwork, filing the papers for my back charges to be added to my child support, and send me a copy of the draft for my review before it gets sent to the judge to sign. This was all done and ordered to return in two months to see how everything is going and further assess what court costs and attorney fees I will be responsible for.

I have not received the draft yet, nor has my support changed.

I'm worried because this attorney has done this to me before and gotten me in this situation.

When I go back to court, how do I turn this to the lawyers fault and not mine? Can he be held in contempt and forfeit his fees?
Which is it?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The done I am referring to is that it was ordered by the judge. I still have not received the papers to review them before submitting to the judge for her signature. My apologies for the confusion.
Yet you posted:

and send me a copy of the draft for my review before it gets sent to the judge to sign. This was all done
You are not making sense.

B_cald84

Judge ordered the opposing attorney to draft a judgement in court. She told him to do it and send it to me "asap" so I can review it for accuracy and okay it before he sends it to the judge for her to sign. That was over a month ago, and he has not sent me the draft yet. I go back to court for a review tomorrow to see how the judgement he hasn't filed yet is going.

Make any better sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">