• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevmar44

Depends on how much money you are talking about. Is it worth the cost of an attorney or do you plan to go to court without one?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lorley said:
OK, by that you mean?
My ex isn't paying the college money that he owes our son, is it not worth pursuing?

My response:

These are new facts. Why didn't you post these, and all other facts, in your initial post on this thread? I merely answered what you wrote in your initial post on this thread. Nothing more, and nothing less.

IAAL

Gracie3787

Lorley said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

How do you go about filing contempt charges?
1. Does the CS order state that NCP is to pay for college expenses?
2. Can you prove that NCP has the ability to pay, and has willfully refused to pay?
3. Is NCP at least 30 days or more in arrears?

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes, and you don't want to use an attorney:

Go to www.flcourts.org/osca/divisions/family/bin/index.html#forms

You can download a Motion For Civil Contempt/Enforcement. Attach a copy of the CS order to it, file the original with the court clerk. Send copy to NCP by certified return reciept mail. As soon as you recieve return reciept contact clerk's office to set hearing date (clerk will explain how to notify NCP of hearing).

Lorley

Thanks for all the replies, any info that I can get helps, I'm really clueless about all of this.

Yes, my ex was ordered to pay a set amount for college. I have sent him two certified letters asking/demanding him to pay money that should have been paid 2 years ago. He is refusing, but not directly. He says things like, "let's talk", then, "take me to court", anything that will aid him in his attempt to avoid a direct answer.

There is also a section in my divorce that states that if any party is defult in their obligations, that party will have to pay reasonable expences incured in enforcment, including attorneys etc. So, if I get an attorney, is it certain that my ex will have to pay for mine or is this "ify" also? And, in a comtempt issue, is it good to get an attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">