• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contempt of court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onmytime

What is the name of your state? AZ

I have done everything in my power to get along with my child's father. Since the court order was signed he has refused to follow it whatsoever. He pays what he wants and is $7000 in arrears. Friends and family have suggested I file contempt of court on him.

From what I understand being in contempt of court is a very serious offensive. My attorney told me that he was going to file contempt of court on him, however, I did not get a chance to ask all the detailed questions I would like to have asked. So maybe someone here has experience with what happens when someone is held in contempt. What is the process and what happens to the party that is in contempt? Is it even worth it?

seniorjudge

onmytime said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

I have done everything in my power to get along with my child's father. Since the court order was signed he has refused to follow it whatsoever. He pays what he wants and is $7000 in arrears. Friends and family have suggested I file contempt of court on him.

From what I understand being in contempt of court is a very serious offensive. My attorney told me that he was going to file contempt of court on him, however, I did not get a chance to ask all the detailed questions I would like to have asked. So maybe someone here has experience with what happens when someone is held in contempt. What is the process and what happens to the party that is in contempt? Is it even worth it?
What FACTS (and not conclusions) do you have to show that he is in contempt of court. Give us specific details and also what parts of the judgment in the lawsuit he is in contempt of.

onmytime

A year ago he was ordered to pay 727.14. He paid 500 and then in March he was ordered to pay 1195. Now he pays 700. He refuses to follow the court order.

syskjw

Do you go through child support or the courts?
Even if you do go through child support you can file a civil contempt doesn't mean any thing will happen. I have went through a mess of stuff w/my ex. But we did go to court yesterday on the 3rd contempt read my thread. Lots of luck. But you might have it easier because the non-custodial is a male the judge admitted all three times in my court appearences that they would be harder on her if she was a male.

GrowUp!

syskjw said:
But you might have it easier because the non-custodial is a male the judge admitted all three times in my court appearences that they would be harder on her if she was a male.
Are you freaking kidding me?! The Judge actually said this. Please tell me it's on record. You should be filing a complaint against this Judge with the State. This is clearly discrimination and ILLEGAL. Good Lord...if this got out, the Judge's comment would open up a huge can of worms for this court. Is it a prerequisite for Judges in Florida to be morons?

Oh yeah, there was Katharine Harris. LOL

onmytime

syskjw said:
Do you go through child support or the courts?
Even if you do go through child support you can file a civil contempt doesn't mean any thing will happen. I have went through a mess of stuff w/my ex. But we did go to court yesterday on the 3rd contempt read my thread. Lots of luck. But you might have it easier because the non-custodial is a male the judge admitted all three times in my court appearences that they would be harder on her if she was a male.
I have an atty through and we have gone through the court and our case is also with DES in AZ. So DES is monitoring his lack of payments and have already sent him a letter stating they are going to place a judgement on his credit. DES is also reporting to the credit bureuas is arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">