• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contempt of court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mccake4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
I had to go to court last month because I was $6000 behind in child support payments. The judge granted me an extension to "seek counsel." I have spoken to an attorney, but cannot afford to hire one and I don't qualify for legal assistance. I have paid $5000 of the arrears since the court date. My question is will I be held in contempt or will there be any other negative repercussions if I don't bring an attorney with me to court? (Since the judge granted the extension to "seek counsel".) Thank you!

Isis1

judges don't like being lied to. so you better have a really good explaination as to why there is not an attorney standing next to you.

now, if you opted to spend monies catching up on your support than paying for an attorney, a judge might just give you a "what for" talking to. you'll need to come up with a payment plan for the remaining $1K.

mistoffolees

judges don't like being lied to. so you better have a really good explaination as to why there is not an attorney standing next to you.

now, if you opted to spend monies catching up on your support than paying for an attorney, a judge might just give you a "what for" talking to. you'll need to come up with a payment plan for the remaining $1K.
That's where I'd go. Tell the judge that when you learned how much it cost to hire an attorney that you felt that paying down the arrears was a better use of the money. If you offer a payment plan for the rest, there's a good chance that you might walk away with just a warning (especially if this is the first time).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">