• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court Filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

This never ends.

Final Decree was issued March 20th, 2006. Ordered to pay child support of 875 every month. I have been up to date and on time since the temp order in October. I did not pay Marches support by the 31st. I let her know verbally that it would not be until 2nd week of April cause of moving expenses. She said ok...did not ask for part of it ..nothing. April 4th she files for contempt and I just get served today. I have since only paid her half of it and told her via email that I would do the other half along with April. It will be no prob to have it all up to date by the court contempt date of May 5th.

I think its petty to file for contempt when support is 4 days late. I undrestand its legal to do so.

What is the judge likely to do.

Would it look bad if I counter file for legitimate things she has not complied with in the CO. (turning over personal belongings, consulting me about major decisisons. visitation or should I let that wait)

seniorjudge

bobingeorgia said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

This never ends.

Final Decree was issued March 20th, 2006. Ordered to pay child support of 875 every month. I have been up to date and on time since the temp order in October. I did not pay Marches support by the 31st. I let her know verbally that it would not be until 2nd week of April cause of moving expenses. She said ok...did not ask for part of it ..nothing. April 4th she files for contempt and I just get served today. I have since only paid her half of it and told her via email that I would do the other half along with April. It will be no prob to have it all up to date by the court contempt date of May 5th.

I think its petty to file for contempt when support is 4 days late. I undrestand its legal to do so.

What is the judge likely to do.

Would it look bad if I counter file for legitimate things she has not complied with in the CO. (turning over personal belongings, consulting me about major decisisons. visitation or should I let that wait)

Q: Would it look bad if I counter file for legitimate things she has not complied with in the CO. (turning over personal belongings, consulting me about major decisisons. visitation or should I let that wait)?

A: First, make sure, that when you go back to court in your lawsuit, that you are paid up and, in fact, in advance. Second, sure, bring up all that other crap. Lawyers in Georgia are going hungry and y'all need to do what you can do to keep the animosity going for as long as possible in the court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">