• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest a bank levy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmerwin10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts/Florida

Does anyone know if a Massachusetts initiated bank levy for support can be contested in a Florida court?
MA issued a levy on my husband's first wife for back support (in excess of $5000, she has never made a payment) When we spoke with the MA case worker we were told that his ex is fighting the bank levy in court in FL? Apparently she is also claiming that she has a child living with her that she is supporting as part of her reason for contesting the levy. She has 3 children, one is 24, one is 22, and one is 13 (he lives with us because she was found to be unfit to see him without supervision) None of her children live with her. She lives in FL, we live in MA where my stepson was born and has lived his entire life. My concern is that she will fabricate a story that will actually get the levy reversed and unfortunately for my step son, this is probably the only money we will ever see from her for his support.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts/Florida

Does anyone know if a Massachusetts initiated bank levy for support can be contested in a Florida court?
MA issued a levy on my husband's first wife for back support (in excess of $5000, she has never made a payment) When we spoke with the MA case worker we were told that his ex is fighting the bank levy in court in FL? Apparently she is also claiming that she has a child living with her that she is supporting as part of her reason for contesting the levy. She has 3 children, one is 24, one is 22, and one is 13 (he lives with us because she was found to be unfit to see him without supervision) None of her children live with her. She lives in FL, we live in MA where my stepson was born and has lived his entire life. My concern is that she will fabricate a story that will actually get the levy reversed and unfortunately for my step son, this is probably the only money we will ever see from her for his support.
Are you certain that she hasn't had another child?

tmerwin10

She is not physically able to have any more children so I am pretty sure, she has been in and out of rehab(s) for the past several years so I am fairly certain she has not adopted a child, she has not remarried so she has not adopted any stepchildren and she has not had a relationship that has lasted more than six months and has no live in boyfirend so she is not caring for or supporting a significant other's child

mistoffolees

She is not physically able to have any more children so I am pretty sure, she has been in and out of rehab(s) for the past several years so I am fairly certain she has not adopted a child, she has not remarried so she has not adopted any stepchildren and she has not had a relationship that has lasted more than six months and has no live in boyfirend so she is not caring for or supporting a significant other's child
OK. Have your husband sign up for his own account and bring copies of his court orders. This is not something you can resolve.

tmerwin10

I am aware that I can not resolve it, I am wondering if a bank levy from the MA DOR is something that can legally be contested in a FL court when the jurisdiction for the child support is with MA. I am not trying to find out how to resolve anything on my own, I am trying to determine what the possible outcome of a particular situation is.

LdiJ

I am aware that I can not resolve it, I am wondering if a bank levy from the MA DOR is something that can legally be contested in a FL court when the jurisdiction for the child support is with MA. I am not trying to find out how to resolve anything on my own, I am trying to determine what the possible outcome of a particular situation is.
Yes it can be contested in FL, because the bank is under FL jurisdiction, and the assets being seized are under FL jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">