• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Correct use of child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clay423

What is the name of your state? NJ

Just to give you a quick summary, I have been paying child support for almost 10 years now. My children (ages 14 and 11) live with my ex-wife, but we have joint custody. I have the children every weekend and 1/2 of the summer. I have since remarried and have a stepdaughter (age 13) and twins (age 3).

My ex-wife has been unemployed for over 6 months and is not currently seeking employment. She is using the child support as her sole income. As she moved back in with her parents 7 years ago, she does not pay rent.

I have noticed within the past several weeks that the level of care my children are receiving has steadily declined. The overall appearance of the children is fair at best, with their clothes not as neat and clean. I have approached my ex, but she simply ignores my requests for answers.

I called NJ Child Support as well as the County office, but I was told there was nothing I could do until the children were neglected. Then of course, the state would intervene. I lost my job 4 years ago and I was out of work for 3 months. During that time, my ex took me to court and I was advised to catch up on the child support or risk being put in jail. Now that she is unemployed, do I have any legal rights to "force" her back to work? Can she be asked to justify the expenses being paid with the child support? Do I have any legal rights as the non-custodial parent in NJ?

RegardsWhat is the name of your state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since NJ uses an an income shares model for calculating CS, her prior income was taken into account and she is providing a share of support on paper. She does not owe you an accounting of how the support is spent. Being a CP and having been unemployed for a period of time myself, I can tell you that there were other resources that I used. Such as the savings I had accumulated over time. Her parents may also be helping her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">