• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cmj526

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
SC

I've been paying child support since August on my daughter. I was out of work and missed 3 weeks in december/January. I got a letter in the mail yesterday for a court hearing to show why I wasn't making payments. Anyone know what I need to take with me to court or what's going to happen?

Proserpina

SC

I've been paying child support since August on my daughter. I was out of work and missed 3 weeks in december/January. I got a letter in the mail yesterday for a court hearing to show why I wasn't making payments. Anyone know what I need to take with me to court or what's going to happen?
You're being asked to explain the reason you haven't paid child support.

That's all. Take your proof with you.

Cmj526

No proof

But I don't have any proof? I didn't file for unemployment. And I'm not going to worry about modifying it, I'm fine with my payment. I'm only $880.00 behind (I started $750) behind.

Proserpina

But I don't have any proof? I didn't file for unemployment. And I'm not going to worry about modifying it, I'm fine with my payment. I'm only $880.00 behind (I started $750) behind.
Turn up with your check-book then, and pay it off.

Cmj526

I don't have the money to pay it off, but they do plan on taking it out of my taxes. But I've been making my payments every week since the second week in January when I got my first paycheck.

Cmj526

So I don't have the money for a lawyer, and I'm trying to get visitation of my daughter as well. She is 14 months, and it wasnt a problem seeing her before but I'm in a relationship now and she doesn't want me around. My child's mom posted on Facebook Thursday that she wished someone would watch my daughter for the weekend so she could spend the weekend with her boyfriend for valentines day. I offered to keep her all weekend and she refused, but told me I could see her for a day with her present. So this weekend we had made plans to take her to a indoor park all day. Both of us and our significant others. Well I texted her Saturday to find out what time we were meeting and she refused to meet, told me she didn't know if they would have time. Then proceeded to tell me she didn't want me to see her, that I could message and check up on her whenever I wanted though. I haven't seen my daughter since Christmas, and that was only because my parents had her.
My parents get her almost every other weekend. And I only get to see her if I just stop in and they're home.

Silverplum

So I don't have the money for a lawyer, and I'm trying to get visitation of my daughter as well. She is 14 months, and it wasnt a problem seeing her before but I'm in a relationship now and she doesn't want me around. My child's mom posted on Facebook Thursday that she wished someone would watch my daughter for the weekend so she could spend the weekend with her boyfriend for valentines day. I offered to keep her all weekend and she refused, but told me I could see her for a day with her present. So this weekend we had made plans to take her to a indoor park all day. Both of us and our significant others. Well I texted her Saturday to find out what time we were meeting and she refused to meet, told me she didn't know if they would have time. Then proceeded to tell me she didn't want me to see her, that I could message and check up on her whenever I wanted though. I haven't seen my daughter since Christmas, and that was only because my parents had her.
My parents get her almost every other weekend. And I only get to see her if I just stop in and they're home.
You don't have a court order for parenting time? That's what you need. That, and to consistently support your child.

Cmj526

No I don't have any visitation, I used to just be able to see her whenever I wanted. But that's all changed now.

Cmj526

I have been researching for a couple weeks, just looking for some advice of someone that has been there before.

commentator

I have been researching for a couple weeks, just looking for some advice of someone that has been there before.
Well, for starters, lets talk about your period of unemployment back in Dec/Jan. First question, WHY did you not file for unemployment? If you were out of work through no fault of your own, you would have probably qualified, and would've had those records to show. Did you quit a job or get fired from a job?
I gather you are back to work. Take check stubs or proof of earnings since your period of unemployment (letter from employer perhaps?) That will all have to be looked at, that's the sort of thing they need for proof of income. Income tax forms anyone?

Could you possibly come up with enough money to get an attorney just for your trip to court here which may have years of implications in your relationship with your daughter? They just do not look very kindly at people who come to court totally clueless and unprepared and just try to wing it in front of the judge. This is an occasion where splurging on a lawyer would be well worth it. I have heard judges very turned off by people who go in with very expensive clothes, cellular devices, tattoos, and show income from a pretty well paying job, who just can't pay their child support and just can't afford an attorney.

Last edited:

LdiJ

SC

The thing is dad, you don't get to pay child support only when you are working. You owe child support whether you are working or not, and owe it in the amount ordered until you file for a modification and it is granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">