• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court-Child Support - TEXAS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

atxguy

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have an upcoming court date. I'm the NCP. On my Notice of Hearing, states my failure to appear may result in a default order/judgment being taken against me. The only reason I'm going to court is because I do not trust the AG office in how they calculated what I'm supposed to pay for support. Now the court will calculate it, right? If so, what is the reason to show up? If I lived in the same county as the hearing it would be a non-issue, but now I have to take off work (without pay) and make travel arraignments. I'm just wondering if the amounts or judgment could be different if I'm present for court or not present.

atxguy said:

I have an upcoming court date. I'm the NCP. On my Notice of Hearing, states my failure to appear may result in a default order/judgment being taken against me. The only reason I'm going to court is because I do not trust the AG office in how they calculated what I'm supposed to pay for support. Now the court will calculate it, right? If so, what is the reason to show up? If I lived in the same county as the hearing it would be a non-issue, but now I have to take off work (without pay) and make travel arraignments. I'm just wondering if the amounts or judgment could be different if I'm present for court or not present.
You need to go. Almost ANYTHING could happen if you're not there.

What do you calculate the correct support amount to be? If you don't have a number, you need to get one and understand exactly how that amount is figured. Good luck.

BelizeBreeze

atxguy said:

If you don't show up one of two things will happen?

1. the case will be decided on the facts if the other party is in attendance or,

2. the case will be dismissed ....

if you don't think it's important enough to show up why should the court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
atxguy said:

If you dont show up the court cannot take anything into consideration as a reason to deviate from the normal child support. If you are there and there are legitimate reasons why the court should deviate from the guidelines they can do so. If you are not there they will not.

atxguy

Claire's mom said:
Have you run your numbers on one of the on-line calculators to see if the amount is consistent w/ amount set by OAG?

Thanks all for your input!!

I have not used one of the on-line calculators you are referring to, but I'd appreciate the link to one.

N

nicetryadmin

atxguy said:
Thanks all for your input!!

I have not used one of the on-line calculators you are referring to, but I'd appreciate the link to one.
If you don't show up, you could be ordered an amount HIGHER than would normally be ordered. And since you no-showed, you would pretty much shoot down any chance to appeal it just because you didn't show.

One thing about going to court is that the court is allowed more flexibility to deviate than going through CSEA, which is bound by administrative law.

atxguy

nicetryadmin said:
If you don't show up, you could be ordered an amount HIGHER than would normally be ordered. And since you no-showed, you would pretty much shoot down any chance to appeal it just because you didn't show.

One thing about going to court is that the court is allowed more flexibility to deviate than going through CSEA, which is bound by administrative law.

Sounds good, thanks! When you say the court is allowed more flexibility to deviate, what would be some examples?

N

nicetryadmin

atxguy said:
Sounds good, thanks! When you say the court is allowed more flexibility to deviate, what would be some examples?
Check under your state statutes to see what are allowable deviations. Keep in mind, they don't have to deviate...

ceara19

atxguy said:
Here are the reasons a deviation from the norm are allowed:

(b) In determining whether application of the guidelines
would be unjust or inappropriate under the circumstances, the court
shall consider evidence of all relevant factors, including:
(1) the age and needs of the child;
(2) the ability of the parents to contribute to the
support of the child;
(3) any financial resources available for the support
of the child;
(4) the amount of time of possession of and access to a
child;
(5) the amount of the obligee's net resources,
including the earning potential of the obligee if the actual income
of the obligee is significantly less than what the obligee could
earn because the obligee is intentionally unemployed or
underemployed and including an increase or decrease in the income
of the obligee or income that may be attributed to the property and
assets of the obligee;
(6) child care expenses incurred by either party in
order to maintain gainful employment;
(7) whether either party has the managing
conservatorship or actual physical custody of another child;
(8) the amount of alimony or spousal maintenance
actually and currently being paid or received by a party;
(9) the expenses for a son or daughter for education
beyond secondary school;
(10) whether the obligor or obligee has an automobile,
housing, or other benefits furnished by his or her employer,
another person, or a business entity;
(11) the amount of other deductions from the wage or
salary income and from other compensation for personal services of
the parties;
(12) provision for health care insurance and payment
of uninsured medical expenses;
(13) special or extraordinary educational, health
care, or other expenses of the parties or of the child;
(14) the cost of travel in order to exercise
possession of and access to a child;
(15) positive or negative cash flow from any real and
personal property and assets, including a business and investments;
(16) debts or debt service assumed by either party;
and
(17) any other reason consistent with the best
interest of the child, taking into consideration the circumstances
of the parents.

Although the court CAN consider these things, it doesn't happen vrey often. Realistically, it applied in situations like the NCP EARNS $40K a year BUT they have $10 million in the bank from winning the lottery and situations where each parents actual parenting time does not follow the SOP for Texas (every 1st, 3rd & 5th weekend, ect.) If an NCP actually gets a considerable amount of time ABOVE the SOP, the support can be lowered, if the NCP spents little to no time with the child, support can be higher then the norm.

atxguy

ceara19 said:
Here are the reasons a deviation from the norm are allowed:

(b) In determining whether application of the guidelines
would be unjust or inappropriate under the circumstances, the court
shall consider evidence of all relevant factors, including:
(1) the age and needs of the child;
(2) the ability of the parents to contribute to the
support of the child;
(3) any financial resources available for the support
of the child;
(4) the amount of time of possession of and access to a
child;
(5) the amount of the obligee's net resources,
including the earning potential of the obligee if the actual income
of the obligee is significantly less than what the obligee could
earn because the obligee is intentionally unemployed or
underemployed and including an increase or decrease in the income
of the obligee or income that may be attributed to the property and
assets of the obligee;
(6) child care expenses incurred by either party in
order to maintain gainful employment;
(7) whether either party has the managing
conservatorship or actual physical custody of another child;
(8) the amount of alimony or spousal maintenance
actually and currently being paid or received by a party;
(9) the expenses for a son or daughter for education
beyond secondary school;
(10) whether the obligor or obligee has an automobile,
housing, or other benefits furnished by his or her employer,
another person, or a business entity;
(11) the amount of other deductions from the wage or
salary income and from other compensation for personal services of
the parties;
(12) provision for health care insurance and payment
of uninsured medical expenses;
(13) special or extraordinary educational, health
care, or other expenses of the parties or of the child;
(14) the cost of travel in order to exercise
possession of and access to a child;
(15) positive or negative cash flow from any real and
personal property and assets, including a business and investments;
(16) debts or debt service assumed by either party;
and
(17) any other reason consistent with the best
interest of the child, taking into consideration the circumstances
of the parents.

Although the court CAN consider these things, it doesn't happen vrey often. Realistically, it applied in situations like the NCP EARNS $40K a year BUT they have $10 million in the bank from winning the lottery and situations where each parents actual parenting time does not follow the SOP for Texas (every 1st, 3rd & 5th weekend, ect.) If an NCP actually gets a considerable amount of time ABOVE the SOP, the support can be lowered, if the NCP spents little to no time with the child, support can be higher then the norm.

Yes, I have read these. Very good, thanks! Let's throw out a couple of situations out there based on this.

(1) the age and needs of the child; If the child is 13, are the needs less than or more than a child who is 1-4? Would one be expected to pay less or more based on this? How do you prove it?

(16) debts or debt service assumed by either party; I lost my job in May/2004 and didn't get a job until early 2005. I'm still in huge debt because of this job loss. I basically had live off credit cards and rob Peter to pay Paul. It it was a huge mess, but I'm on track and paying my bills. I avoided losing my house, but I'm getting my life together. Okay everyone, put your tissues away. Seriously, I'm just curious if this matters or makes a difference.

fairisfair

atxguy said:
Yes, I have read these. Very good, thanks! Let's throw out a couple of situations out there based on this.

(1) the age and needs of the child; If the child is 13, are the needs less than or more than a child who is 1-4? Would one be expected to pay less or more based on this? How do you prove it?

(16) debts or debt service assumed by either party; I lost my job in May/2004 and didn't get a job until early 2005. I'm still in huge debt because of this job loss. I basically had live off credit cards and rob Peter to pay Paul. It it was a huge mess, but I'm on track and paying my bills. I avoided losing my house, but I'm getting my life together. Okay everyone, put your tissues away. Seriously, I'm just curious if this matters or makes a difference.
As for the age of the child, you are generally required to pay more for an older child. based on the idea that an older child is more expensive to care for. In my state it is an additional 10% for a child over 12. Check your states child support sites, it should have also been on the calculator. As for your debt, I doubt that will be considered, your child has no less needs because of your bills. I believe the debts ceara was talking about were debts assumed during a divorce.

ceara19

atxguy said:

1. That's not really how the deviation is applied. Generally, when CS is set outside the norm because of the child's NEEDS, it is set at a HIGHER amount. And even then it is only done in situations where, for whatever reason, the standard amount would NOT cover 50% of the childs actual NEEDS.

16. I've only seen this applied in cases where the debt one party is paying is actually a debt incurred by the OTHER party and in situations where the NCP gets the cs reduced due to unavoidable debt, for example, if you were to become seriously ill, the judge could lower your support in order to allow you more money to pay for necessary medical treatment. Temporary unemployment wouldn't count, especially when you had assets (house) that could have been sold to satisfy at least part of your debts.

atxguy

ceara19 said:
1. That's not really how the deviation is applied. Generally, when CS is set outside the norm because of the child's NEEDS, it is set at a HIGHER amount. And even then it is only done in situations where, for whatever reason, the standard amount would NOT cover 50% of the childs actual NEEDS.

16. I've only seen this applied in cases where the debt one party is paying is actually a debt incurred by the OTHER party and in situations where the NCP gets the cs reduced due to unavoidable debt, for example, if you were to become seriously ill, the judge could lower your support in order to allow you more money to pay for necessary medical treatment. Temporary unemployment wouldn't count, especially when you had assets (house) that could have been sold to satisfy at least part of your debts.

Understood! Geesh, I just could not see myself selling my house and put the rest of my family out on the street just to pay off some debts. The way I see it, when you don't have a place to call home all is lost. It is a cruel world out there, but nothing I can do to change it. Thanks all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">