• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court date about cs arrears in new jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeco26

i live in new jersey and pay cs.. i pay 300 a month and im in arrears 3,000 and got a letter with a court date from the state for feb 1. just wondering if this is for mediation to make a payment arrangement for the arrears, or does it immediately go before a judge? it mentions about possible jail time. do the courts work with you of is it "the money right then and there or jail"??. also did my x make the complaint or is it what the state does...being that i received letters all summer about my arrears. also says i can bring an attorney but not required.. should i ??. i should have 800 paid before the court date. will that help with my case? any advice about the outcome would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks
mike in new jersey

i live in new jersey and pay cs.. i pay 300 a month and im in arrears 3,000 and got a letter with a court date from the state for feb 1. just wondering if this is for mediation to make a payment arrangement for the arrears, or does it immediately go before a judge? it mentions about possible jail time. do the courts work with you of is it "the money right then and there or jail"??. also did my x make the complaint or is it what the state does...being that i received letters all summer about my arrears. also says i can bring an attorney but not required.. should i ??. i should have 800 paid before the court date. will that help with my case? any advice about the outcome would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks
mike in new jersey
Why are you in arrears? If it was due to unemployment, did you make an attempt to have the child support amount adjusted?

Isis1

mike in new jersey
because you did not give exact details, it's hard to say.

is the state collection child support from you as of now? have they been? for how long? $3k in arrears says 10 months of not paying a single dime. what was your reason for not paying? how many times have you been called for contempt? when was the child support established?

mistoffolees

mike in new jersey
Read your paperwork carefully. It should answer your questions. If it doesn't, there should be a number you can call.

mikeco26

yes the state is collecting support now for about 3 years and have recievied 2 letters in 4 months.the arrears gradually built up over a long period...i didnt go 10months strait without paying anything...i was paying towards arrears wen i had it. i got my moms house wen she passed and have to pay reversed mortgage...backed taxes and so on.. i have an excellent relationship with my x and my kid...as i see here whenever i want..shes 13 years old and 5 mins away. but i also know theres no excuse for the arrears..im far from a "deadbeat dad" blowing off my responsibly

Last edited:

Isis1

yes the state is collecting support now for about 3 years and have recievied 2 letters in 4 months.the arrears gradually built up over a long period...i didnt go 10months strait without paying anything...i was paying towards arrears wen i had it. i got my moms house wen she passed and have to pay reversed mortgage...backed taxes and so on.. i have an excellent relationship with my x and my kid...as i see here whenever i want..shes 13 years old and 5 mins away. but i also know theres no excuse for the arrears..im far from a "deadbeat dad" blowing off my responsibly
look, bottom line. you are going to court for contempt. depending on the procedure of the court, you won't be thrown in jail the first time around.

you'll be given a chance to pay the full amount at the hearing. if you cannot pay the full amount, they'll ask a percentage and a payment plan for the rest of the arrears. most, agree to the percentage and the payment plan.

it is usually those that just sit there and outright refuse to pay, that end up in jail.

mistoffolees

look, bottom line. you are going to court for contempt. depending on the procedure of the court, you won't be thrown in jail the first time around.

you'll be given a chance to pay the full amount at the hearing. if you cannot pay the full amount, they'll ask a percentage and a payment plan for the rest of the arrears. most, agree to the percentage and the payment plan.

it is usually those that just sit there and outright refuse to pay, that end up in jail.
To be pedantic, though, OP never said it was the first time. If this is the second or third time, the answer might be different.

And it really is up to the judge. Since the penalty COULD involve jail time, I would definitely want an attorney.

sandyclaus

I find it interesting that OP managed to find enough money to take care of Mom's back taxes and reverse mortgage right away and decided that his child support obligation could wait.

I suggest you find a creative way to try to explain THAT to the judge at your hearing.

Isis1

I find it interesting that OP managed to find enough money to take care of Mom's back taxes and reverse mortgage right away and decided that his child support obligation could wait.

I suggest you find a creative way to try to explain THAT to the judge at your hearing.
well, i can't say for the mortgage, but i can say the IRS will always get their money first....

sandyclaus

well, i can't say for the mortgage, but i can say the IRS will always get their money first....
Perhaps... but it wasn't HIS house, it was Mom's house. Not HIS tax obligation but hers. Her estate should have taken care of that.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So... did you get letters all summer? Or two letters in four months?

Since you were apparently already in arrears and paying on those when you dropped the ball (again), you can expect the judge to look at your current arrears more seriously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">