• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court ordered medical coverage dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevmar44

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

My ex is required to carry health insurance on our son. His CS was lowered due to him providing coverage. I found out by way of getting a prescription filled for my son that he no longer has coverage on him. My $25 dollar co-pay turned into a $104 bill!! Merry Christmas to me! :rolleyes: And this is the guy that has ignored previous bills for his half so I'll see that $52 and every other $52 when hell freezes over! :p

So first I called CS and they told me they would have someone "look into it". I then called to see how much more it would be to add him to my insurance because my son has a pre-existing condition and I can't afford for him to go past the 60 days w/o insurance and was told that I might have a problem with his pre-existing coverage because my ex is under a court order to provide the coverage!

My question is can CS force him to find some kind coverage for my son. If not and I have to add him to my insurance will they make him pay MORE child support since he got it lowered when HE had to provide it? I can add him to my coverage but it's an additional $90 a month not to mention I have a $3,500 deductible! I will have to pay everything up front and it will be a battle to get him to pay his half and I can't afford that. I know that will put him in contempt of court but that means I have to hire an attorney right? Or can CS fight that battle for me? I'm only saying this because I only get $27 a week in CS right now and can't afford the prescriptions every month let alone an attorney if I have to take this back to court!

VeronicaGia

If he lost his job that included insurance, of if his employer stopped insuring all of their employees, he has no insurance. You can try to make him get insurance, but he will likely either prove to the court that it costs too much or get something that won't cover anything anyway. And with a pre-existing condition....

However, you can ask the court to modify support based on your having to pay for insurance now.

kat1963

Have you contacted him? If he picked up new employment coverage could be available he just hasn't received the cards yet. You don't want to waste your time with court if it has already been taken care of and it tends to really piss the judges off too.

It's not contempt until a judge finds him in contempt. Check on line to see if the court house (that has jurisdiction) has forms on line *motion to show cause* (why the violator should not be held in contempt) and a motion to modify support. Make sure you attach your evidence of non insurance. If not available on line, you can probably pick them up at the court house. You can file this yourself. In the future, if you aren't already, make sure that you are diligent in sending him copies of your paid medical bills via certified mail with return receipt (documentation! Failure to do so could mean the judge saying *You waited too long!). You can also request that the judge order a time limit for him to pay the unpaid medical expense however it’s likely the judge will also give you a time limit to submit them to him too (or risk losing payment).

KAT

Kevmar44

Will I have to get an attorney to get a modification? I spoke with CS and basically all they are going to do is send my ex a letter telling him he is court ordered to carry insurance. Which is just a joke. His wife had the insurance and she got let go from her job. He is "self-employed" which he chose to do after quitting a $30,000+ a year job to get out of having to pay me child support. But yet they just purchased a $232,000 house! I know that they will have to find other insurance sooner or later because the wife has had multiple health problems the past 2 years, but I know it will be longer than the time allowed for my sons pre existing condition. Also my paper work states no period of time for me to give him bills for his half of what is due, does this mean I can go back a year or more? I have given him copies of most of the bills (that he has just ignored) but I have over $1,000 worth of prescription bills alone that I've paid for. What is my recourse for that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">