• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COURT RULING: "Gay Parents MUST Pay Child Support"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyemback

What is the name of your state? CA (where story originates from)

Landmark case...California's Supreme Court ruled that unmarried, same-sex couples are lawful parents and must provide for their children if they break up. It'll be interesting to see how many other states wind up ruling the same way CA did.

Some very interesting comments made by the Justices. The story is a 'must-read' here:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/23/lesbian.parents.ap/index.html

rmet4nzkx

eyemback said:
What is the name of your state? CA (where story originates from)

Landmark case...California's Supreme Court ruled that unmarried, same-sex couples are lawful parents and must provide for their children if they break up. It'll be interesting to see how many other states wind up ruling the same way CA did.

Some very interesting comments made by the Justices. The story is a 'must-read' here:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/23/lesbian.parents.ap/index.html
And who were you before you got banned? Is that why so many posts before you get caught again?

nextwife

Actually, I find the legal implications intriguing.

For example: If two gay women raise a child together and one is paying CS, and the biodad files for paternity establishment/visitation (if not done through a sperm donor scenario), does the Psychological parent get booted from their child's life - as it would NEVER have been possible to establish paternity by DNA? Or does CP get CS from both "other parents"? Does a visitation schedule also get ordered for biodad?

Interstate collections: If CS is established in CA, is an "anti-gay" state like FL compelled to enforce if the obligor moves there?

I presume this also means that visitation can also be ordered and enforced, and moveaways addressed and stopped..

Last edited:

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Actually, I find the legal implications intriguing.

For example: If two gay women raise a child together and one is paying CS, and the biodad files for paternity establishment/visitation (if not done through a sperm donor scenario), does the Psychological parent get booted from their child's life - as it would NEVER have been possible to establish paternity by DNA? Or does CP get CS from both "other parents"? Does a visitation schedule also get ordered for biodad?

Interstate collections: If CS is established in CA, is an "anti-gay" state like FL compelled to enforce if the obligor moves there?

I presume this also means that visitation can also be ordered and enforced, and moveaways addressed and stopped..
I agree that they are intriguing...but if you read the article its not really a "blanket" thing. They have to be registered as domestic partners and they must have used reproductive science to concieve the child.....so in most cases there really wouldn't BE a bio-dad to claim paternity.

Veronica1228

I think that the only reason this issue is murky to begin with is that gay couples are not afforded the same rights as hetero couples right out of the starting gate. If they were allowed to marry legally then this would be a non-issue.

brisgirl825

Veronica1228 said:
I think that the only reason this issue is murky to begin with is that gay couples are not afforded the same rights as hetero couples right out of the starting gate. If they were allowed to marry legally then this would be a non-issue.
I agree. Gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry. Homosexual couples will have children and those kids need to be protected.

eyemback

rmet4nzkx said:
And who were you before you got banned? Is that why so many posts before you get caught again?
And what are your issues? I didn't realize there were only a handful on here who were entitled to post on here a handful of times a day... :rolleyes:

eyemback

nextwife said:

The issue about CS is very interesting, given how many states passed laws last year banning gay marriage and the recognizing of such relationship. I don't really think we're going to see that many cases like the one where the San Fran courts ruled on just because of the nature of the case. It'll be just a matter of time before we probably see a scenario like you described about interstate CS play out in the US Supreme Court.

Just Blue

brisgirl825 said:
I agree. Gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry. Homosexual couples will have children and those kids need to be protected.

I was all for gay marrage....glad it passed here!
Its just terrible what happens to children when the Bio Parent dies and the other "mom" or "dad" can't legally have custody.

brisgirl825

baystategirl said:
I was all for gay marrage....glad it passed here!
Its just terrible what happens to children when the Bio Parent dies and the other "mom" or "dad" can't legally have custody.
I'm all for it too and voted in favor of gay marriage. I live in too conservative a state for it to pass though.
This subject gets me steamed.

Veronica1228

brisgirl825 said:
I agree. I think they should be allowed to marry too. Not just for the sake of these children that may end up being raised and supported by only one person and one person's income, but I'm a romantic at heart. I think if two people really love each other, and they are over 18, they should be allowed to marry. I don't think it is fair for our government, State or Federal, to try and regulate love.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">