• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP on Food Stamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgf793

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NY My step-daughter's mother was recently fired from her job. They are now living off of food stamps. We do not live in the same state so it makes it hard to assist them in person. We have offered to have my step-daughter come live with us to ease the burden but her mom won't hear of it. Is my husband required to re-imburse the state they live in for the public assistance? Thanks all!!!

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NY My step-daughter's mother was recently fired from her job. They are now living off of food stamps. We do not live in the same state so it makes it hard to assist them in person.
Sending a gift card to the local neighborhood supermarket does not require you to be there in person to assist them. The mailman still runs 6 days a week in most places.
We have offered to have my step-daughter come live with us to ease the burden but her mom won't hear of it. Is my husband required to re-imburse the state they live in for the public assistance? Thanks all!!!
Ripping her daughter from her when times are down is not a way to "ease her burden." Children should NEVER be a burden, and I'm sure mom doesn't see her daughter as one. And yes, the state will seek reimbursement for public assistance funds through the child support that is paid.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NY My step-daughter's mother was recently fired from her job. They are now living off of food stamps. We do not live in the same state so it makes it hard to assist them in person. We have offered to have my step-daughter come live with us to ease the burden but her mom won't hear of it. Is my husband required to re-imburse the state they live in for the public assistance? Thanks all!!!
In this instance, as in many others, your state matters not. What matters is the state that enforces the CS order.

sgf793

I am very sorry for wording it that way....I was not implying that my step-daughter is "burden" to anyone!! Since mom was fired weeks ago and can't collect unemployment things are more than tight on their end. They are being evicted from their apartment and that is why we offered to have my step-daughter and her horse come live with us.....

BL

They State will seek child support from your husband .

It's a requirement the the recipient must sign to seek assistance .

Unless she has lied to them that she does not know who the father is .

The State will keep most of the child support they collect , and give the mother an allowance of about $50.00 per month from it .

You husband will not have to pay for the Food stamps back .

People fall on hard times and as the title says it is , it's now called Temporary Assistance .

As long as the child's basic needs are meant , your husband and you should zip it .

Another of the requirements to receive assistance is tho report any outside contributions to the household , but the Agency surely isn't going to police someone who " might " be receiving gift certificates .

Get a grip. And do NOT put the child in the middle of this and give the child a complex .

Who knows , mom might go to school get a degree and end up making good money .

Just Blue

I am very sorry for wording it that way....I was not implying that my step-daughter is "burden" to anyone!! Since mom was fired weeks ago and can't collect unemployment things are more than tight on their end. They are being evicted from their apartment and that is why we offered to have my step-daughter and her horse come live with us.....
Is there a current support order?

BL

And Temp. assistance can set mom up with emergency housing if need be .

Many LL's take rent payments on voucher from the State.

Now Oh boy , where does the horse live .

curiousB

TANF and food stamps are not the same thing, one being a state program and the other being a USDA program at the federal level and administered by a state agency. I've never heard of a state intercepting child support because a CP is receiving only food stamps, would kill the purpose of food stamps to a large degree.

If mom entering the world of government housing, which can be fly by night in nature, especially in some of the "temporary shelters" it would probably be in your step-daughter's interest to live in a more stable and less dangerous environment. A couple of years ago my company did some contract work at a local roach motel the state of Colorado had a contract with to use as "temporary housing" when the projects were full. The place was little more than a crack den and the nicer rooms where held for use by hookers in plying their trade. When there's a better option available to kids, like going to live with dad, a court has to take that into consideration.

Many LL's take rent payments on voucher from the State.
That's really not true at all. Getting set up to take section 8 housing vouchers is a huge pain in the arse and most land lord's aren't set up to take it. The larger corporate complexs usually do, but they won't accept tenents with evictions. To get on section 8 housing is a fairly involved process which can take years in some parts of the country.

BL

I digress , mom probably isn't eligible assistance , and has a waiting period .

And if that's the case the State won't seek child support , as food stamps are not the same , as someone explained .

Perhaps the red cross , or church organizations , will help her and the child out .

Or a Friend .

IF not I agree , the child should go with Dad , instead of risking the State taking the Child.

NY My step-daughter's mother was recently fired from her job
To reply to your statement about voucher though.

Read about Emergency assistance as I explained before.

They may or may not give her Emergency assistance . They screen for eligability.

Voucher from public assistance . NY State Dept. of Temporary Assistance is different than Sec. 8 . A local Agency maintains a list of LL's that except recipients on voucher payments ( again not the same as Sec. 8 ) . The Agency will call the LL , or visa versa to verify payment will be send .

Last edited:

sgf793

Wow!! All of your posts are wonderful. YES....my husband is court ordered to pay child support and that is ALL my step-daughter and her mother and the horse are living on and have been for several weeks now.

LdiJ

Wow!! All of your posts are wonderful. YES....my husband is court ordered to pay child support and that is ALL my step-daughter and her mother and the horse are living on and have been for several weeks now.
Well, that and food stamps.

BL

Where is the horse ?

Did they live on a farm ?

sgf793

Oddly enough....no they do not live on a farm and it costs $300 a month to board this horse that is not even paid off yet. YES...we live on a horse farm!!

jbowman

Hmmm if your real intent is to ease her burden, I suggest you offer to board the horse on your HORSE farm. It would save her 300 per month-- she will not go into any more debt from it and maybe she can get back on her feet.

Offering to take a woman's child will only upset her, make her feel like a failure and make you look very insensitive.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oddly enough....no they do not live on a farm and it costs $300 a month to board this horse that is not even paid off yet. YES...we live on a horse farm!!
Then tell mom (well have dad do so) that he will take the horse and board it for his daughter thus saving $300 a month. The horse would still belong to the child but dad would be doing something that benefits his child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">