• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP Receiving SSI for child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My teenage daughter is disabled from cancer. I think my ex is getting SSI for her. Not only does my ex seem to be spending more money at the beginning of the month, and this year she claimed her on income taxes (even though I already did & the court order says I claim the kids). She said that she would see what happened. She said that she claimed her because they her & her husband owed taxes this year.

My parents get SSI & they said that if you receive SSI, you only have to pay taxes if you're not below poverty. My ex makes close to 40,000 a year, and her husband works aslo.

Is there a way that I can find this out since I am the father & possibly get my child support evaluated with SSI added on as extra income for her?

Gracie3787

My teenage daughter is disabled from cancer. I think my ex is getting SSI for her. Not only does my ex seem to be spending more money at the beginning of the month, and this year she claimed her on income taxes (even though I already did & the court order says I claim the kids). She said that she would see what happened. She said that she claimed her because they her & her husband owed taxes this year.

My parents get SSI & they said that if you receive SSI, you only have to pay taxes if you're not below poverty. My ex makes close to 40,000 a year, and her husband works aslo.

Is there a way that I can find this out since I am the father & possibly get my child support evaluated with SSI added on as extra income for her?
Contact the SSA and ask if your daughter is recieving benefits with her mother as the payee.

P

Pat88998899

First of all, it sounds like she is violating a court order if the court ordered that you can claim the kids on the taxes. I would call it to the attention of the IRS. Second, you can probably go into family services at the court and file a motion to lower child support based on an increase in her income. (Some states have lawyers of the day at probate courts - for people needing legal advice, who can't afford a lawer.Maybe you should call and ask)I would mention to whoever you deal with at the court that she is claiming the child on her taxes, even tho the court order says that you can. When she is served and you get a court date, generally both sides fill out a financial statement, which is signed under the penalties of perjuy. She has to include this on the financial statement.

Something else you could try is calling social security and asking if your daughter is receiving it, and tell them why you are asking. Some people there try to be very helpful especially if they know that the other party is doing something illegal.

LdiJ

The purpose of SSI in a case like that one would be to cover the extra expenses of your daughter's illness. Its very unlikely that it would be included in a child support calculation.

In addition, its not taxable income to mom. Children's benefits are never taxable income to the parents.

The purpose of SSI in a case like that one would be to cover the extra expenses of your daughter's illness. Its very unlikely that it would be included in a child support calculation.

In addition, its not taxable income to mom. Children's benefits are never taxable income to the parents.
According to the child support guidelines, SSI is counted as income. I wasn't sure about paying taxes on it, but I found it odd that she needed to claim her this year. As for my daughter's extra expenses... the order says that I pay 100% of ordinary & extraordinary medical expenses. So why would she get SSI??? She may have gas for Dr. appt expenses, but I live 2 hours away & I take off work many times to go too.

I'm going to try calling SS and see if they'll give me any info.

tigger22472

According to the child support guidelines, SSI is counted as income. I wasn't sure about paying taxes on it, but I found it odd that she needed to claim her this year. As for my daughter's extra expenses... the order says that I pay 100% of ordinary & extraordinary medical expenses. So why would she get SSI??? She may have gas for Dr. appt expenses, but I live 2 hours away & I take off work many times to go too.

The SSI that's counted is likely the Parent's SSI.. not the child's

LdiJ

Are you sure that CHILDREN's SSI is part of the calculation?

In Ohio it is if one is going for a deviation.
I know what a deviation is, but do you mean that I have to request a deviation based on the SSI that she receives?

If I have to pay 100% of the medical bills, is there a way that I can get a deviation and pay less Child Support since I have so many medical bills to pay?

My daughter was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, and it's hard to pay my own bills, child support, & 100% of medical. Plus, 2 of my children showed up for a visit with braces & my ex said that I now owe her $6000 on top of everything else.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know what a deviation is, but do you mean that I have to request a deviation based on the SSI that she receives?

If I have to pay 100% of the medical bills, is there a way that I can get a deviation and pay less Child Support since I have so many medical bills to pay?

My daughter was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, and it's hard to pay my own bills, child support, & 100% of medical. Plus, 2 of my children showed up for a visit with braces & my ex said that I now owe her $6000 on top of everything else.
Yes. Or your ex will end up responsible gor a portion of medical.

ellencee

SSI has two components: state law and funds; and, federal law and funds. In the states that I have some knowledge about SSI, benefits paid by SSI can be and usually are recouped from the parent paying child support unless a hardship waiver is obtained.

Are you sure you are talking about SSI, which is formerly known as "welfare payments", and not Social Security disability benefits that have no parental income considerations?

I don't foresee a judge reducing child support because one child is seriously ill. Expenses for housing, food, clothing, etc. do not decrease when someone in the family becomes ill; ususally, costs go up.

As for the tax issue, neither SSI benefits for children or SS disability benefits for children are taxed.

EC

ellencee

EC did you read what I wrote?
LOL! Not your next-to-the-last post; we must have been posting at the same time--you must have finished just as I began.

I still don't think a clear answer has been posted about SSI. Based only on the states' laws of which I have knowledge, SSI must be paid back to the state by the other parent if the other parent is deemed financially capable. So if the NCP reduced his child support by the SSI amount, the NCP would then have to pay the SSI back to the state (prior benefits and current benefits). It doesn't result in less child support by the NCP; it only changes to whom the support is paid. Did that make sense?

EC

LdiJ

LOL! Not your next-to-the-last post; we must have been posting at the same time--you must have finished just as I began.

I still don't think a clear answer has been posted about SSI. Based only on the states' laws of which I have knowledge, SSI must be paid back to the state by the other parent if the other parent is deemed financially capable. So if the NCP reduced his child support by the SSI amount, the NCP would then have to pay the SSI back to the state (prior benefits and current benefits). It doesn't result in less child support by the NCP; it only changes to whom the support is paid. Did that make sense?

EC
I think that you are perhaps confused about what SSI is. It is NOT something that has anything to do with welfare on a state level. SSI is purely federal. The state/fed combined welfare program is TANIF.

The Social Security Administers, SSDI (Social Security Disability Payments) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income). The only disability benefits that children receive are SSI benefits. Now, a child on SSI is eligible for medicaid, which is state run, but only if they are otherwise uninsurable/uninsured.

I think that you are perhaps confused about what SSI is. It is NOT something that has anything to do with welfare on a state level. SSI is purely federal. The state/fed combined welfare program is TANIF.

The Social Security Administers, SSDI (Social Security Disability Payments) and SSI (Supplemental Security Income). The only disability benefits that children receive are SSI benefits. Now, a child on SSI is eligible for medicaid, which is state run, but only if they are otherwise uninsurable/uninsured.
This is not any form of welfare. I guess I'm talking about SS Disability. Sorry to confuse everyone. I'm not familiar with SS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">