• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit for Paying Extra Child Support in NYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeggyG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Due to illness and unemployment, my boyfriend is in arrears in his child support, current balance about $12K. He is now working and paying the maximum amount that they can collect. This is being withheld from his payroll checks. His daughter recently turned 18 so the payments he is making are being applied 100% towards arrears and interest, no new amounts are being added.

His ex-wife called him and told him that she would like some extra money to buy his daughter a new computer before she starts her senior year at high school in the Fall. He just recently received a check for some overtime at work and wants to send $600 to help with the computer purchase.

Is there a way that he can somehow get a receipt from the ex-wife and have that amount deducted from the arrears child support amount that he is still paying to NYS? The ex-wife has said that she would be happy to do this for him if it is possible.

Thanks for your advice!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Due to illness and unemployment, my boyfriend is in arrears in his child support, current balance about $12K. He is now working and paying the maximum amount that they can collect. This is being withheld from his payroll checks. His daughter recently turned 18 so the payments he is making are being applied 100% towards arrears and interest, no new amounts are being added.

His ex-wife called him and told him that she would like some extra money to buy his daughter a new computer before she starts her senior year at high school in the Fall. He just recently received a check for some overtime at work and wants to send $600 to help with the computer purchase.

Is there a way that he can somehow get a receipt from the ex-wife and have that amount deducted from the arrears child support amount that he is still paying to NYS? The ex-wife has said that she would be happy to do this for him if it is possible.

Don't send directly to X-wife, but send it to NYS child support enforcement. He gets the credit for the money and x-wife can purchase the computer.

If he send it directly and she DOESN'T have the child support arrearage reduced, then it was a "gift".

FYI- which state governs the child support court order? NYS? or is it another state where it was originally made?

LdiJ

I don't understand how his current child support could have ended when child support in NY goes to age 21 and the child is still in high school.:confused:

PeggyG

Don't send directly to X-wife, but send it to NYS child support enforcement. He gets the credit for the money and x-wife can purchase the computer.

If he send it directly and she DOESN'T have the child support arrearage reduced, then it was a "gift".

FYI- which state governs the child support court order? NYS? or is it another state where it was originally made?
NYS is collecting for Vermont. I'm not sure why new support is ended at age 18 but it has. They've been divorced since this child was an infant.

She has asked him to send it directly to her since she believes she will not get it in time if it has to go through NYS processing. That is why she offered to give him a receipt of some sort.

Of course, he wants to help and is willing to give up the credit on the child support if it means that she will get this computer in the time frame she needs it. It isn't a lot of money after all but since the ex-wife offered, I told him I would check to see if that were possible.

Thanks again for your assistance.

BL

Any outside money will be considered as a gift .

Why can't they buy one on credit making payments instead ?

tuffbrk

It isn't a lot of money after all.[/QUOTE said:
Isn't $600 about 20% of the total arrearages due? I agree with Tink - send it in to the state, they will send it to Mom.

Is it really all that imperative that the computer be purchased before school starts? Here in NJ not much gets done during the first week of school...

It is in his best interests to send it to the state. If the purchase is somewhat delayed - oh well. Don't let "guilt" over being in arrears get the better of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">