• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Preventing Home Purchase - Please Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rocru

CA (reside in GA):

December 2009, I lost my job in California. I applied for 2,200 jobs in my area (14% unemployment) and received my one and only job offer in another state after 22 months: October 2011. By October 2011, I was four months behind paying my Child Support. Consider if you will, my job loss attributed to 50% loss in household income and with two small children (excluding supported child), four months behind is not a bad achievement. Also, my wife and I declared bankruptcy (08/2011) and our home was foreclosed.

Anyway, from 04/2010-01/2012 (20 Months), California did not report to any credit bureau even though I had been more than 90 days behind throughout. By 01/01/2012, I had paid up, and was less than one month behind (63%). This means, in other words, that in the first three months back to work, I paid 6.3 months applied to current and arrears.

The statement, 01/01/2012, shows that Payment had been applied toward Current Support Due. However, that same month, CA reported to the credit bureau that I was 30 days late. The remaining balance was the arrears and not the current or December payment; according to the statement. In 02/2012, they posted a 60 day and 05/2012 another 30 days late.
I’ve been paid up to date since 03/2012 (since paying off the arrears).

October 2013, we found a new program through HUD called FHA Back to Work Program. This program states, eligibility through extenuating circumstance (20% loss of income and 6 months or more of joblessness) and having a successful credit history for the last 12 months.

So, I’m certainly eligible having 22 months of unemployment and a 50% loss of income and since 10/2011, I have a ‘stellar’ credit report; stellar all except the reported late from CA Support.
The problem is, even though HUD ‘trusts’ me, I cannot get a loan because of the late report for Child Support ‘after’ a bankruptcy. I feel like I’m serving an unnecessary sentence for circumstance.

So here I am, working hard, paying for my obligation and trying to support the family I live with after surviving a huge financial hardship (22 months unemployment, bankruptcy, and foreclosure). Now, because CA did not report the arrears until 01/01/2012, I’m being told that a lender will not give me money to purchase a home; likely for another five years when the late reports drop off my credit.

Again, I never owed more than four months and when I started working again, I paid up quickly and on time successfully. Additionally, prior to my job loss, I had never been late – 7.4 years of on time and complete payments. I have no criminal or civil records; I just want to move on and provide for my family.

Other than calling CA and discussing this with them (I have a scheduled appointment already), does anyone have any experience with this? Can the state actually show compassion and remove the late reports? Yes, they have the capability, but are they capable of having the willingness?

Any advise?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why didn't you attempt to have your CS adjusted when you lost your job?

rocru

Why didn't you attempt to have your CS adjusted when you lost your job?
Frankly and now looking back, stupidly, I didn't even know I could. Furthermore, my situation is not a pleasant one and I've heard stories about 'case reviews' where once a case is reviewed, payments can be adjusted. So I had a lot of fear about approaching the state even before I lost my job; since I had certainly made more money since the order was set.

Ladyback1

Probably because I have an Ex who is 2 months in arrears, I really have no sympathy for you.

So, you're inconvenienced and can't purchase your "dream" home?

What sort of inconvenience did the custodial parent have to deal with because you weren't paying child support? Where any of her bills paid late(and I mean bills that relate to the care of your child: utilities, rent/mortgage, etc)? Did you offer to pay her late fees when you got back on your feet?

Where there "extras" that your child had to go without because you weren't paying support?
Did custodial parent have to cut corners, go without certain things, because you weren't paying?

While you may have a ding on your credit report, the custodial parent may as well---and it wasn't even their fault!

Sorry, but I just can't manage even the littlest bit of sympathy for you!

milmom

Probably because I have an Ex who is 2 months in arrears, I really have no sympathy for you.

So, you're inconvenienced and can't purchase your "dream" home?

What sort of inconvenience did the custodial parent have to deal with because you weren't paying child support? Where any of her bills paid late(and I mean bills that relate to the care of your child: utilities, rent/mortgage, etc)? Did you offer to pay her late fees when you got back on your feet?

Where there "extras" that your child had to go without because you weren't paying support?
Did custodial parent have to cut corners, go without certain things, because you weren't paying?

While you may have a ding on your credit report, the custodial parent may as well---and it wasn't even their fault!

Sorry, but I just can't manage even the littlest bit of sympathy for you!
At least out of 22 months of unemployment he only managed to be behind 4. I'm not saying his credit report shouldn't reflect such, but that's more than can be said for most people out of work for 2 years. (and this is coming from someone who has an ex that has carried an arrearage since a month after our divorce 5 years ago, and has gone more months without paying than months he has)

As for the OP - it's a legitimate reporting of missed payments. You can ask they remove it, and the worst they can say is no. But unfortunately it's not as if they are lying.

mmmagique

Frankly and now looking back, stupidly, I didn't even know I could. Furthermore, my situation is not a pleasant one and I've heard stories about 'case reviews' where once a case is reviewed, payments can be adjusted. So I had a lot of fear about approaching the state even before I lost my job; since I had certainly made more money since the order was set.
So, when the money got better, you didn't want to pay more child support; which set you up for, when the money dried up you were afraid to ask to pay less. I consider this Karma.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So, when the money got better, you didn't want to pay more child support; which set you up for, when the money dried up you were afraid to ask to pay less. I consider this Karma.
^^^ This. Sorry. Sometimes payback is a ... brat And I don't mean a wurst.

anearthw

I can't help but think the bank is just shooing you away with this "late report" of arrears. I have a very hard time believing that a bank trusts you after a bankruptcy and foreclosure in 2011, but not a few months of CS arrears just before that. Even if the CS is dealt with, I'm sure the bank will find another reason to make you wait. 2011 is really not that long ago!

CJane

I can't help but think the bank is just shooing you away with this "late report" of arrears. I have a very hard time believing that a bank trusts you after a bankruptcy and foreclosure in 2011, but not a few months of CS arrears just before that. Even if the CS is dealt with, I'm sure the bank will find another reason to make you wait. 2011 is really not that long ago!
This.

The biggest "ding" to your credit rating is NOT the child support hit. Just not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">