• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit for time with non custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvr05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Missouri

We live in Kansas now, but the child support order was issued from Missouri. My husband and I have his 2 sons for the entire summer, yet we still have to pay child support to his exwife. We were told by the Family Support Center that we could write a letter stating the time they were in our care and that credit could possibly be issued.

My question is how do I write the letter and what must I include?

dallas702

You'd better check the MO statutes first. Many states don't consider the time children spend away from the PC's home as a reason to waive support because they consider the PC to still have some of the same expenses (room(s) in the home, insurance, etc.) as before.

LdiJ

dallas702 said:
You'd better check the MO statutes first. Many states don't consider the time children spend away from the PC's home as a reason to waive support because they consider the PC to still have some of the same expenses (room(s) in the home, insurance, etc.) as before.
And most states that DO give credit, factor it into the overall child support calculation, and spread it across the entire year.

I didn't think that there were any states left that gave abatements (that is the terminology) for extended visitation anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">