• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS Arrears lowered??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rufie

What is the name of your state?ca
My Ex whom is $52,000+ in arrears and currently not paying anything, AGAIN ! States he is going to Child Support Services to have arrears lowered . In the last three years he has asked for a modification 4 times and either did not follow through with paperwork or did not show up at hearings. Now he's crying arrears are unfair because I now make more than when the order came out years ago? Has anybody seen a judgement to lower arrears .
Based on "It's not Fair??"

Again, He never followed through on modicifcation paperwork. I had always had all my paperwork in and was at hearings waiting for him.

nextwife

Legally, even if he had been lying in a full body cast in a coma for the past few years he'd STILL be unable to retroactively modify support.

gatorguy3

the Bradley Amendment almost guarantees arrears will never be manipulated however, if the initial ruling was wrong then the arrrears would be changeable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Rufie said:
What is the name of your state?ca
My Ex whom is $52,000+ in arrears and currently not paying anything, AGAIN ! States he is going to Child Support Services to have arrears lowered . In the last three years he has asked for a modification 4 times and either did not follow through with paperwork or did not show up at hearings. Now he's crying arrears are unfair because I now make more than when the order came out years ago? Has anybody seen a judgement to lower arrears .
Based on "It's not Fair??"

Again, He never followed through on modicifcation paperwork. I had always had all my paperwork in and was at hearings waiting for him.

My response:

The trial court may find there are "special circumstances" warranting a reduction in the presumptively-correct formula amount pursuant to Ca Fam § 4057(b)(5); and the resulting child support order may effectively reduce the arrearages obligation and interest that otherwise would have accrued. [See City & County of San Francisco v. Funches (1999) 75 Cal.App.4th 243, 247, 89 Cal.Rptr.2d 49, 52]

In County of Stanislaus v. Gibbs, 59 Cal.App.4th at 1426-1427, 69 Cal.Rptr.2d at 825, there was no abuse of discretion in reducing Father's child support obligation to zero pursuant to § 4057(b)(5) where he had only $712 in net monthly disposable income. After the maximum allowable low-income adjustment (Ca Fam § 4055(b)(7), presumptively-correct formula support came to $248/mo.; but, coupled with his $450/mo. rent, that would have left Father with only $14 for monthly expenses, (clearly "unjust and inappropriate"). [See also City & County of San Francisco v. Miller (1996) 49 Cal.App.4th 866, 869, 56 Cal.Rptr.2d 887, 888] "The County's argument that low income is not a 'special circumstance' misses the mark. [Father's] income was not only low, he had virtually nothing left after his wages were garnished and his rent was paid in which to meet his monthly expenses. Moreover, [Father] maintains physical responsibility of the children for 20 percent of the time. Presumably he must attempt to feed them during this period." [City & County of San Francisco v. Miller, supra, 49 Cal.App.4th at 869, 56 Cal.Rptr.2d at 889 (brackets added) (but also affirming trial court's order "urging" Father to find a roommate to reduce his rental expense and scheduling review hearing in 2 months)]

"Unfair" is not a "special circumstance". There must be something financially pivotal for the court to order a reduction.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">