• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS ending soon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peterc857

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

According to my court order, Child Support shall be payable until the last of the children is emancipated in accordance with the following criteria:

1)Child becoming gainfully employed full-time as distinguished from part-time,summer or after-school employment
2) Child entering military service in any of the branches, the Peace Corps or the like.
3) Child attaining the age of 18 years or graduation from high school, whichever occurs first
4) Marriage of the child
5) Support of the children after high school shall be in accordance with the statutory provisions then in effect.

Since the CS is being garnished from my pay, do I need to go to court to have it stopped?(Im not sure why I would need a court order for it to end since its clear when it ends.) Will CS stop automatically or do I notify CSE?

Thank you!

Last edited:

GrowUp!

peterc857 said:
Since the CS is being garnished from my pay, do I need to go to court to have it stopped?(Im not sure why I would need a court order for it to end since its clear when it ends.) Will CS stop automaticly or do I notify CSE?
You should either call CSEA (and stay on them like Oprah on Baked Ham) or file the appropriate paperwork now.

peterc857

GrowUp! said:
You should either call CSEA (and stay on them like Oprah on Baked Ham) or file the appropriate paperwork now.

Thanks, what is the appropriate paperwork? Do you mean with the court?

LdiJ

peterc857 said:
Thanks, what is the appropriate paperwork? Do you mean with the court?
Yes, you have to file to terminate CS. The CSE doesn't know when when of those listed events take place. Therefore they don't know when to stop your child support.

peterc857

LdiJ said:
Yes, you have to file to terminate CS. The CSE doesn't know when when of those listed events take place. Therefore they don't know when to stop your child support.
I could send them a copy of my divorce decree and they would know.

Neal1421

peterc857 said:
I could send them a copy of my divorce decree and they would know.
If you want them to stop garnishing your check you have to file the proper paperwork, you can't just send them a copy of the decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">