• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CS Motion Confusion!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kansas;

Hello Everyone;

I just received a confusing letter in the mail and thought maybe some of you other parents have received the same thing and can possibly explain this to me. I recently got a letter stating a "Motion to Establish Medical". From what it says that my childs mother is requesting the court requiring the Respondent (me) to obtain medical and dental insurance for the parties minor children. Then later it says that "either party should be required to obtain health and dental insurance coverage"

Does this mean they are requiring me to now provide the insurance for my child? I do not even have visitation rights to my child and the mother wants nothing to do with me. I was not even told when my child was born. I am already paying for half of the medical insurance via my child support. So I guess I have 3 questions if anyone can answer them or shed some light.

1) Does this mean it is now my responsibility to provide Medical and Dental insurance to my child?
2) Is this even possible since I have no Visitation and already pay this in the current Child Support Order
3) When i go to this hearing should I get a Lawyer? or is this just a standard procedure?

I just started a new job and I dont even have insurance for myself yet. Any information would be so great!!!

Thank You!!
-Luke

GrowUp!

1354 said:

Hello Everyone;

I just received a confusing letter in the mail and thought maybe some of you other parents have received the same thing and can possibly explain this to me. I recently got a letter stating a "Motion to Establish Medical". From what it says that my childs mother is requesting the court requiring the Respondent (me) to obtain medical and dental insurance for the parties minor children. Then later it says that "either party should be required to obtain health and dental insurance coverage"

Does this mean they are requiring me to now provide the insurance for my child? I do not even have visitation rights to my child and the mother wants nothing to do with me. I was not even told when my child was born. I am already paying for half of the medical insurance via my child support. So I guess I have 3 questions if anyone can answer them or shed some light.

1) Does this mean it is now my responsibility to provide Medical and Dental insurance to my child?
Huh? You stated youp're already paying half of the medical. Or do you mean that Mom is providing the medical and you are "reimbursing her" via the support that was calculate?

2) Is this even possible since I have no Visitation and already pay this in the current Child Support Order
Visitation is irrelevant. Medical is considered "support". Your support order will be modified to reflect this.

3) When i go to this hearing should I get a Lawyer? or is this just a standard procedure?
Having a lawyer at the hearing will not do anything as CSEA's are bound by Administrative law.

You can't be "required" to provide medical and/or dental if it's not available to you at a reasonable cost. So, if you don't have it to provide, then you won't be "forced" to provide it.

rmet4nzkx

Since you don't even understand the basics of your orders, it would be wise for you to consult an attorney to learn what your rights are and how you can exercise them rather than find out by default. How old is this child? Why doesn't mom want the child to have a relationship with you? Has paternity been established, if so, was it by DNA test or by Acknowledgement of paternity? Have you filed for custody or visitation? Was the mother and or child on welfare or state medical aid? These are all important issues and you cannot assume anything nor can we advise you based on so few facts. Visitation is a separate issue and not having visitation does not mean that you owe less child support, it all depends on the states formula and the courts orders. THat is why you need to consult an attorney.

ceara19

1354 said:

Hello Everyone;

I just started a new job and I dont even have insurance for myself yet. Any information would be so great!!!

Thank You!!
-Luke
It doesn't matter if mom wants anything to do with you or not. If you wanted visitation with the CHILD, the court will decide, not mom.

Like rmet said, no visitation does not equate to less child support. As a matter of fact it can mean MORE child support since you shoulder none of the burden of physically caring for the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">