• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cs time limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

payyourcs

What is the name of your state? WA

My ex owes me over 80 grand now. I read on a website that the statue of limitations is 10 years after child support ends. So if my ex waits until the youngest reaches 28 years old, does this mean that I can no longer try and collect the arrears from him? Is there anything I can do to make him permantely owe me until it's paid off?
So sick of having a dead beat for an ex :(

Gracie3787

My ex owes me over 80 grand now. I read on a website that the statue of limitations is 10 years after child support ends. So if my ex waits until the youngest reaches 28 years old, does this mean that I can no longer try and collect the arrears from him? Is there anything I can do to make him permantely owe me until it's paid off?
Do you have a specific court order for payment of the arrears?

I'm not sure, but that might be treated differently than arrears from the court order for support itself. Hopefully, Ohiogal can shed some light on this situation, because it sure seems like there should be something you can do BEFORE the SOL has run out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That SOL is for enforcement of the child support order -- not for payment. So if you have not gone for a show cause by then to enforce it you are SOL.

payyourcs

Do you have a specific court order for payment of the arrears?

I'm not sure, but that might be treated differently than arrears from the court order for support itself. Hopefully, Ohiogal can shed some light on this situation, because it sure seems like there should be something you can do BEFORE the SOL has run out.
I don't know if there is a separate court order on the arrears. I know there is not one on the "current amount". I go thru the local OSE office and they have pretty much done everything. They have held him on contempt, bench warrants, then squash bench warrant, license revoked, licence reinstated.

Is there something I need to file myself with the courts to ensure he will owe me until it's paid?

When I got the notice for my daughters fathers contempt hearing, I noticed that one reason it said reasons to invalidate the contempt would be that the statute of limitations on child support had passed. I questioned the caseworker for CSEA about that and she said that if it reached the time (which is 20 years in my state) then we would enter in a judgement for the amount in arrears which would side step the statute of limitations...

When I got the notice for my daughters fathers contempt hearing, I noticed that one reason it said reasons to invalidate the contempt would be that the statute of limitations on child support had passed. I questioned the caseworker for CSEA about that and she said that if it reached the time (which is 20 years in my state) then we would enter in a judgement for the amount in arrears which would side step the statute of limitations...

Is there a certain number of times that you need to be told that what applies in YOUR state has nothing to do with the poster's state??? UNLESS it's the SAME state???

Last edited by a moderator:

payyourcs

I found the last judgement was entered in 1997.

Is there a time limit on Judgements? Can he walk away from paying on a judgement after a certain amount of time?

nextwife

Well, a docketed judgement only constitutes a lien against their REAL estate, in the county the judgment is docketed, for a limited time, unless renewed. So it would depend on whether he owns or buys anything to which the judgment would attach, as to the impact of it's existance.

payyourcs

He has never put anything in his own name so they have nothing to take from him :(
I wonder if I would need to file a new judgement on the total amount owed to me. I was looking over the past judgements and they were individualized from what he should have paid starting from the last judgement forward. Meaning they didn't included the money owed from previous judgements.

nextwife

He has never put anything in his own name so they have nothing to take from him :(
I wonder if I would need to file a new judgement on the total amount owed to me. I was looking over the past judgements and they were individualized from what he should have paid starting from the last judgement forward. Meaning they didn't included the money owed from previous judgements.
If he owns nothing, there may be nothing to get, beyond what could potentially be garnished, lottery winnings or the unlikely event of an inheritance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">