• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CSE case justification and reimbursment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snooch

What is the name of your state? Va

What is the name of your state? Va, Child resides in Ga

Hello everyone.

I divorced my ex in 97 and have been paying child support ever since in the form of allotment (pay deduction). The allotment was paid either on the 1st of the month, or the last work day of the prior month. (For instance, if the 1st falls on Sat, the allotment was paid on Friday) My child support was due on the 1st, so this worked out well for both myself and my ex.

Last Feb, my ex opened a case with CSE. i didn't know anything about it until late April (28th) when I recieved notice in the mail. Evidentally it takes a while to go the Ga and then Va. The letter stated that any money given to my ex after reciept of the letter would be considered a gift and from now on I pay CSE rather than my ex directly. I cancelled the allotment the day I recieved the case paperwork but due to the calender date there was no way to stop the allotment from being processed for the month of May.

I asked CSE why the case was opened seeing as I've never been behind or even late for that matter and their answer was "Because she can".

I asked the ex and she said it was easier to have CS collected by CSE as it keeps my ex from keeping up with financial records proving I've paid because my daughter is on Medicaid (I have her covered under TRICare as well, so this makes no sense).

What I really believe is she learned that CSE reviews CS ammounts every 3 years and she can get the ammount increased without having to hire a lawyer. The ex is a compulsive liar so I wouldn't have believed her story anyway.

Stay with me, there's a couple questions coming....

Anyway, I had to prove to CSE that from Feb to May that I've paid. I providied my Leave and Earnings Statement (LES, I'm military) which proved that the allotment was indeed paid for May. The case worker (Who is no longer employed there I learned) informed me that the money they deduct counts towards the prior month and not the next coming month, so from her point of view, I was actually behind a month. I didn't have my decree on hand to prove that CS was due on the first of the month, so rather than argue with her, I wrote out a check and mailed it in on her advise. Those of you that are or have been military know that arguing with a civilian is pointless as you'll lose....everytime.

I finally convinced to my case worker that I am indeed ahead one month in payment and that I am due a reimbursment. I have emails from her where she acknowledges I've overpaid and the paperwork is in the system to get my money back. My case worker stated that my ex would be asked to sign an affidavit stating that she was overpaid. Pointless as she'll no doubt lie about it. I asked that my ex sign an affidavit stating that she had NOT recieved an extra payment as i have proof that she did. So far, all I've recieved back is a letter from CSE stating that since I paid the money directly to my ex, it's not their problem. Remember I paid it on their instructions rather than argue with them.

I can prove that the check to CSE was cashed. I can prove that the allotment went through for the month of May. I can provide the bank account number that it went to, I can provide the original letter where the ex asked me to set the allotment up, and I can provide the direct deposit form with her bank account number on it.

Now, here's my questions, and thanks for sticking with me through this..

1. Can a woman open a case with CSE even though there is no complaint for child support? Doesn't she have to have justification? I'm sure CSE is busy enough with deadbeats.

2. What's my legal course of action to getting my money back? My prior case worker admits that I overpaid, but since she's left. nobody at CSE seems to know what's going on with my case.

Thanks for reading.

Snooch

GrowUp!

Snooch said:
1. Can a woman open a case with CSE even though there is no complaint for child support?
yes.

Doesn't she have to have justification?
No.

I'm sure CSE is busy enough with deadbeats.
Just because a child support order goes through a CSEA, does not mean they are a deadbeat. In many states, it's mandatory that all CS collections go through a CSEA. Obviously some people in the military open their mouths before they think quicker than civilians.

2. What's my legal course of action to getting my money back? My prior case worker admits that I overpaid, but since she's left. nobody at CSE seems to know what's going on with my case.[/QUOTE]
It's probably not even worth continuing to pursue it simply because you will continue to get the runaround. A course of action you do have is requesting an Administrative Review/Hearing. You do have rights in the system, you just have to know them and exercise them. Keep in mind, the local CSEA does have a main state agency, so if you don't get anywhere with the local, take it up with the state. Keep in mind, If you're one month ahead, then it'll wrap up one month early.

Snooch

Makes sense.

Instead of asking for the money back, perhaps it would be less hassle to get CSA to agree that I'm a month ahead and leave it at that, eh?

GrowUp!

Snooch said:
Makes sense.

Instead of asking for the money back, perhaps it would be less hassle to get CSA to agree that I'm a month ahead and leave it at that, eh?
The thing is trying to get CSEA to agree to a mistake on their part is like asking for the impossible. THe CSEA -- regardless of what county or state -- is pretty well known for not being the brightest bulb in the bunch. They do do things differently and are bound by Administrative Law. I believe that CSEA is one month behind, per se, which is why they claim you are...even though your records say you are current. Just look at it that way.
Simply keep a very detailed tracking, all receipts, paystubs, etc. to show what you've paid throughout. You should still try to move up the chain -- especially if you're talking about a large chunk of change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">