• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CSE for Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dietcokesnob

What is the name of your state? GA
I am using CSE to request a modification in the child support NCP pays, and was surprised to find out he had hired an attorney (or at least he says he has). Under the assumption that the support was be based on standard calculations, I really didn't see the logic in spending the money on any attorney.

Today I finally got in touch with a rep from CSE and she told me he may have hired an attorney to fight the $56,000 in arrearages. My response was "what, he is only $5,000 behind". She said, not according to their records, so he will have to prove all the payments he has made to me over the years since he has been paying me directly. They had me complete, sign and get notarized a form about his payments made directly to me and it shows only $5,000 in arrearages, but the rep from CSE says they have no record of that.

Questions:
What should I do, just wait and see what proof my ex sends in? He must be so angry at me right now if he thinks I told CSE he hasn't been paying me directly. We are not in contact with each other at all, but should I email him and tell him that I am not trying to say that he hasn't been paying me, maybe scan the form I completed and send it to him? He may be spending money on an attorney that is not necessary.

Thanks for any responses I receive.

Silverplum

I totally, really would encourage you to be upfront with him, and talk to him directly if at all possible. And I commend you for wanting to straighten things out. :)

dietcokesnob said:
I am using CSE to request a modification in the child support NCP pays, and was surprised to find out he had hired an attorney (or at least he says he has). Under the assumption that the support was be based on standard calculations, I really didn't see the logic in spending the money on any attorney.

Today I finally got in touch with a rep from CSE and she told me he may have hired an attorney to fight the $56,000 in arrearages. My response was "what, he is only $5,000 behind". She said, not according to their records, so he will have to prove all the payments he has made to me over the years since he has been paying me directly. They had me complete, sign and get notarized a form about his payments made directly to me and it shows only $5,000 in arrearages, but the rep from CSE says they have no record of that.

Questions:
What should I do, just wait and see what proof my ex sends in? He must be so angry at me right now if he thinks I told CSE he hasn't been paying me directly. We are not in contact with each other at all, but should I email him and tell him that I am not trying to say that he hasn't been paying me, maybe scan the form I completed and send it to him? He may be spending money on an attorney that is not necessary.

If CSE is involved why is he sending you the payments directly? That's why they have come up to that amount. They are supposed to be the ones tracking his payments.

dietcokesnob

I am requesting a modification through CSE

I have requested a modification through CSE, that is how they are involved. The modification is in the works, since August, 05. Since the divorce, and currently payments have always come directly to me. Once the modification goes through, the payments will go directly to CSE and then come to me.

That is what I don't understand, they have never handled any payments. They shouldn't be saying he is in arrears of $56,000.00because he hasn't paid through them, they never handled the case.

We pretty much can't stand each other now, and have no contact. I really don't want to get in touch with him, but if I have to I will. I really feel like CSE is the one who has caused the problem so they should inform him, but I doubt that they will.

Thanks,
m

BelizeBreeze

O.K. let's back up.

WHEN did you two separate?

When did you divorce?

What does the support order stipulate?

What reason does CSE give for the large descrepancy other than the payments made directly to you?

and no, you do not have to contact him, however it would be a VERY GOOD idea for you to contact his attorney.

dietcokesnob

Answers to your questions

BelizeBreeze said:
O.K. let's back up.

WHEN did you two separate? Separated 9 years

When did you divorce? Divorced 8 years

Answer: $650 per month, support order generated out of Mo., I now live in Georgia, NCP in Nevada
I applied back in August last year to have CSE handle my modification to increase the support.

What reason does CSE give for the large descrepancy other than the payments made directly to you?
Answer: I called to get the status of the modification request I submitted to Georgia. They told me that the order was acknowledged and accepted in Nevada and that my ex had sent them a letter that he has gotten an attorney and that he wants jurisduction moved to Nevada. I said "I wonder why he needs an attorney for a modification order, isn't the amount determined by the guidelines". And they said "yes, but maybe he got an attorney to fight the arrearages of $56,000.00". I said he is only $5,000 behind, and they said we don't have a record of that. And I said, that's because he has been paying me all these years, we didn't have it go to CSE. So they said, well, he is going to have to prove that he has paid you......

and no, you do not have to contact him, however it would be a VERY GOOD idea for you to contact his attorney.
Answer: I can't contact his attorney, because other than the phone call with CSE today, I have no info on his attorney, or even any evidence that he actually really did retain one.

Thanks, or sorry if I'm not giving you all the info you need at one time.
WHEN did you two separate? Separated 9 years

When did you divorce? Divorced 8 years

Answer: $650 per month, support order generated out of Mo., I now live in Georgia, NCP in Nevada
I applied back in August last year to have CSE handle my modification to increase the support.

Answer: I called to get the status of the modification request I submitted to Georgia. They told me that the order was acknowledged and accepted in Nevada and that my ex had sent them a letter that he has gotten an attorney and that he wants jurisduction moved to Nevada. I said "I wonder why he needs an attorney for a modification order, isn't the amount determined by the guidelines". And they said "yes, but maybe he got an attorney to fight the arrearages of $56,000.00". I said he is only $5,000 behind, and they said we don't have a record of that. And I said, that's because he has been paying me all these years, we didn't have it go to CSE. So they said, well, he is going to have to prove that he has paid you......

Answer: I can't contact his attorney, because other than the phone call with CSE today, I have no info on his attorney, or even any evidence that he actually really did retain one.

Thanks, or sorry if I'm not giving you all the info you need at one time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
dietcokesnob said:

Questions:

Ask CSe about forgiving his arrearages except for the 5K your records show he is behind. That will go a long way towards making him feel better and saving hassle. YOU as the obligee can forgive arrearages if you so choose.

LdiJ

I also think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to email him and let him know that you absolutely did not initiate those arrearages and that you are trying to get it straightened out so that the CSE only records the real arrearages.

StarsMoon

LdiJ said:
I also think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to email him and let him know that you absolutely did not initiate those arrearages and that you are trying to get it straightened out so that the CSE only records the real arrearages.
And if he still doesn't act like a nice person, after you tell him what has happen with CSE, then tell him to kiss your grits and he can prove it all on his own......:eek: he should have stood up and acted like an adult and paid his obligations all along.....:D like a real man..... or woman.... ( in my hubby's case, sorry for the tude, not been a good week).
God whats wrong with ppl......:mad:
JMHO......
stars.....:rolleyes:

nextwife

StarsMoon said:
And if he still doesn't act like a nice person, after you tell him what has happen with CSE, then tell him to kiss your grits and he can prove it all on his own......:eek: he should have stood up and acted like an adult and paid his obligations all along.....:D like a real man..... or woman.... ( in my hubby's case, sorry for the tude, not been a good week).
JMHO......
WTF answer is that? The poster stated that he HAD been paying her, and paid about $51,000 directly to her that CSE is claiming he owes, that he doesn't! Why WOULDN'T he be upset?

GrowUp!

StarsMoon said:
JMHO......
Oh will you just the heck up with this pile of crap?!

No, really, please. Shut up.

StarsMoon

nextwife said:
WTF answer is that? The poster stated that he HAD been paying her, and paid about $51,000 directly to her that CSE is claiming he owes, that he doesn't! Why WOULDN'T he be upset?
Right.. he should be upset.. But while she tries to explain what happened, he shouldn't be a pr*ck about it, for atleast telling him WTF is the problem was.
Point being that if he hadn't been $5000 behind, it would probably be an easy problem to fix. But no.... it's alot of bullsh*t now.
Isn't the burden of proof on him? She's just filing for a mod. He's the one to show proof of payments.
Sorry if I got your panties in a wad, it was JMHO.....

dietcokesnob

Wow

Thanks for your replies. Did not mean to start an argument between anyone.

In a way you are both right. He has been paying me, and is only $5,000 behind so that isn't to bad.

In fact, I probably never would have even filed for modification if he hadn't been so horrible to me. I was very understanding when he was a couple of weeks late sending in payments, but unfortunately, he started to tell me that he had actually mailed the payment, and it wouldn't come. I'd get in touch with him and in 4 months out of the last 12 he said that the check came back because he forgot to put a stamp on it.

The last time we spoke he called me an idiot because the kids were visiting him and I called and left messages for 3 weeks (they were gone for 1/2 the summer) for them to call me. The first week I wasn't upset, just wanted to say hi and see if they were having fun. The second week my messages got a little more concerned, like "please have them call, I really need to talk to them". The third week, I left a message and I was in tears "please, I'm begging you, I'm so worried something is wrong, CALL ME". That was when he said I was acting like an "idiot".

Then the last straw was around Christmas when he said he was coming on Monday night around 6:00 to pick the kids up and take them to dinner at their grandparents house. I had them get ready by 6:00 and of course they are getting hungry by 7:00, so I finally called him. He said that he had not been able to get a flight out of Nevada and would not be coming. I was so angry. You would think that a guy who makes $150,000.00 a year and only pays $650 a month in child support would try to be as nice as possible to the CP and do everything to keep me happy.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the CSE agent to call me back so I can tell her to go to my file and pull out the form they had me complete and have notarized that shows he's only $5,000 in arrears. I have not contacted the NCP yet.

thanks,
M

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">