• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CSEB overcollecting - is the onus on the payer or payee to correct this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Good news: Ex is employed and caught up on his arrears. CSEB is dispersely exactly the court ordered amount.

Bad news: just checked my account online and it looks like CSEB is collecting WAY more than the court ordered amount. Thankfully they have not been dispersing the overage to me. :)

Is this something my ex needs to work out with his employer(s) (garnishment being done twice?), i.e. is it fine for me to ignore it, so long as none of the over payments is being dispersed to me? Or would ignoring it be a bad idea?

Note: the ex and I have minimal communications.

This is not a random $5 here and there. It *looks* like when it accumulates to over $1,000 CSEB had been returning it the ex.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This really isn't your problem. As long as you're receiving what you're entitled to, then you're fine. In fact, I suspect that you wouldn't (shouldn't) even be allowed to get information from CSEB or the ex's employer about this.

single317dad

This really isn't your problem. As long as you're receiving what you're entitled to, then you're fine. In fact, I suspect that you wouldn't (shouldn't) even be allowed to get information from CSEB or the ex's employer about this.
I agree, based on the fact that the money is being returned to the ex, seemingly at an established threshold of $1000 or so. If it wasn't, I'd be concerned, as money that makes its way into limbo and never comes out usually ends up being someone's responsibility, and that "someone" is rarely the government agency.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Good news: Ex is employed and caught up on his arrears. CSEB is dispersely exactly the court ordered amount.

Bad news: just checked my account online and it looks like CSEB is collecting WAY more than the court ordered amount. Thankfully they have not been dispersing the overage to me. :)

Is this something my ex needs to work out with his employer(s) (garnishment being done twice?), i.e. is it fine for me to ignore it, so long as none of the over payments is being dispersed to me? Or would ignoring it be a bad idea?

Note: the ex and I have minimal communications.

This is not a random $5 here and there. It *looks* like when it accumulates to over $1,000 CSEB had been returning it the ex.
It sounds like a problem on his employer's end, not yours or CSEB...unless he is working a second job and they have sent the same wage garnishment to both employers. In either case its not something that you could fix. Its something that your ex is going to have to address.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">