• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Curiosity? Court ordered nonpayment for disabled noncustodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peekabo3o

Sorry, the message didn't post for some reason.

recently learned from my children's noncustodial parents mother that her son is not required to pay child support due to a court order. I think the order is related to his mental disability and inability to work. It's not an issue (I've never asked for or received child support from him), but I was curious as to why a court would order the parent to not pay at all? Is it simply because he cannot work, and if so does that clear him forever from doing so?
Again, it isn't a problem that he can't, and I'm not pursuing it; I am just curious. Both the noncustodial parent and myself live in Kansas, by the way.

Proserpina

recently learned from my children's noncustodial parents mother that her son is not required to pay child support due to a court order. I think the order is related to his mental disability and inability to work. It's not an issue (I've never asked for or received child support from him), but I was curious as to why a court would order the parent to not pay at all? Is it simply because he cannot work, and if so does that clear him forever from doing so?
Again, it isn't a problem that he can't, and I'm not pursuing it; I am just curious. Both the noncustodial parent and myself live in Kansas, by the way.

Well, let's see.

If the obligor is on SSDI, the child can receive dependent benefits which are generally in lieu of child support. SSDI can also be garnished to satisfy child support obligations.

If the obligor is on SSI, the government cannot enforce. Think about it - we're talking a monthly income of what, $700, give or take?

That would be why. Maybe the State wanted to give a disabled parent a break.

Peekabo3o

No need for vitriol. The guy can take a break for the rest of his life for all I care. I was simply curious because I only hear these things through the grapevine and I am not a lawyer, attorney, or judge.

Just Blue

No need for vitriol. The guy can take a break for the rest of his life for all I care. I was simply curious because I only hear these things through the grapevine and I am not a lawyer, attorney, or judge.
There was no "vitriol" offered.

And if you don't care about child support from the impoverished Dad...Why are you posting? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">